Uk affairs, The Double Lizzie Crisis (Part 1)

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? Remember how she said that. We would meet again. Some sunny day? Vera! Vera! What has become of you…

Because the war isn’t over yet…

I could never understand why Tenpole Tudor never made it big.

And yet they could win neither on their own and both wars signalled irrevocable historical decline for them.

Part of the problem with this sort of historical obsession is that several Tory Prime Ministers, most notably Thatcher, thought they were Churchill in dealing with relatively trivial matters, and made a complete bollocks of things by doing so.

I don’t think so

Still alive

Shakepeare has been the most influential Englishman in a national context of all time

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

Great scene from a shit film.

I’m looking forward to the movie - hopefully it’s not over done.

I don’t disagree. My wording was quite specific. People are trying to bend what I said to suit whatever point they are trying to make.
I’ve not seen the film Dunkirk, and have no intention of watching it. It is, however, as authentic I’d imagine as mayweather vs mcgregor. It is there solely to make money. Nothing more.
Glorifying Dunkirk, if that what it does is a bizarre concept. It may, as it should, paint a picture of the absolute futility and horror of warfare. Maybe it will.
If there was ever a lesson , that is it. Nothing more.
It is also quite clear that the Germans could have obliterated the fleets of fishing vessels etc, as well as those stranded on the beach, had they wished.
That they didn’t , speaks for the pilots and commanders involved in that battle.
Personally, I don’t think humans are that different, irish, English, German, all sides of the same coin.

Sigh.

Hopefully it shows the horror of war for what it was - My grandfather was a roaring alco for life with his nerves shot to bits after Dunkirk… Nothing heroic about that.

I agree absolutely.

David Beckham, surely.

Pretty even on book sales I’d say but Beckham may just have a few more shirt sales

Beckham has far more international cachet.

Give him 400 years and judge it then

With the advances in technology, there is far more going on in one day now than in in 400 days in Shakespeare’s time, so we can already say Beckham has had more cultural impact.

Give your source for a factor of 400x

And he was only there on holidays in the 1950’s can you imagine what it was like during the war!