US Politics - A Society in Meltdown

America made the world

You couldn’t make it up, the screaming mullallys would prefer the nazi’s or the russian savages the way they go on

Or the Muslims. Don’t forget the muslims

1 Like

I think it comes down to what your employer wants you to do.

I don’t have any issue with an employer saying to someone that they have to stand up during an anthem.

My issue now is the owners coming out and kneeling, just because Donald is poking the league a bit to deflect attention. They are defeating their whole argument because Trump attacked their ratings.

The original protest was a nonsense. Trump’s speech was a nonsense and the owners response is too. The whole thing is a big waste of time.

You are wrong, but let me first correct a prior statement I made in the thread when I said the NFL did not have the same rule as the NBA. Actually they do, from the leagues Operations manual: “The National Anthem must be played prior to each NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we are judged in this area of respect for flag and country”. It goes on to say that violations of the above may result in discipline such as fines, suspensions, and loss of draft picks.

Couldn’t be clearer than that. All those liberal pinheads bleating about free speech and freedom of expression are simply wrong. One can only assume none of them ever signed an employment contract in their lives, or if they did paid no attention to it.

As to your charge of hypocrisy, no I don’t think it is. Respect for the flag and anthem are an expression of patriotism, love for one’s country (warts and all). I also believe prominent athletes can and perhaps should use their influence to highlight or protest social and political issues, and they are certainly wealthy enough to do so by a variety of means. I don’t think protesting during the national anthem was the smartest move, as it is highly divisive and seen as offensive by a majority of the very people you are supposedly trying to influence. They are better and more effective ways of doing it, like the Cowboys did Mon night for example.

As Tim says however, it’s basically a load of bollox. Not one kid growing up in a disadvantaged area will benefit in any way from this, unlike from the thousands of foundations set up by wealthy donors including athletes.

Why do you think the NFL has not imposed suspensions / fines?

Also, what if a player does not love America or better still is not American and is just fulfilling his contract of employment? Do you not think it’s somewhat draconian to force them to display patriotism like that. How many other professionals throughout the world are forced to do the same as part of their job

Respect for the flag/anthem is your classic American superficial skin deep load of cock. Easy to do. When real patriotism was called for Trump, like W Bush before him dodged the draft.

11 Likes

Lickspittle won’t like that.

Failure to address it (cowardice) is the reason the issue has reached this level of stupidity. The NFL have no problem enforcing other rules, like uniform requirements, excessive celebration, etc. They should get rid of the rule if they are not going to enforce it.

Your second point emphasizes the lack of understanding displayed by many posters here, the rule has to do with respecting the patriotism of the audience, not a display of patriotism by the players themselves. They are not being asked to don uniforms and fight in Afghanistan. The issue is making a political protest during the anthem (and Kaepernick was very vocal and specific about his reasons for protest).

Patriotism involved more than donning a uniform, but I agree with your basic point, except you forgot to mention the US president who worked hardest to avoid the draft, Bill Clinton.

I, and I think most reasonable people, would be a lot more worried about the continued systematic prejudice against black people, rather than about respecting the “patriotism” of the “audience”, “patriotism” being code for racism and “audience” being code for white people.

1 Like

@anon7035031 their employers are protesting with them

I always thought standing for the national anthem was about showing respect to the country. I never seen as a salute to the military. I would stand for any countries national anthem and wouldn’t think twice about it.

The players need to find another way of making their protest and not use the national anthem.

Trump for all his faults is great at defkecting attention away from the real issues in government. You got to hand it to him, he is failing to deliver on most things but he has everyone focused on this shite with the NFL players.

By the way why is taking the knee during thr national anthem bad? I wiuld have seen it as a sign of difference or respect like people kneeling in church.

1 Like

I would think reasonable people in Ireland should be more worried about the continued systematic prejudice against the minority ethnic population in Ireland. You have zero credibility in maintaining any high moral ground when you fail to denounce the biggest racist on this site who refers to said minority as cunts and people he does not want to be around. In fact, yourself and said poster are continually licking each other’s holes, so I can only assume you don’t disagree with him.

More specifically

6 U.S. Code § 301 - National anthem
US Code
Notes
prev | next
(a)Designation.—
The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.
(b)Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
( 1 ) when the flag is displayed—
( A ) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note;
( B ) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and
( C ) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
( 2 ) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

They protested the rhetoric of Trump, which was completely OTT.

What do Americans who are Sikhs do in when the national Anthem is played? Do they have to take their headdress off?

Him too, as big a cunt as any of them.

I’m not sure what Clinton even had to do with the matter, other than to deflect.

1 Like

You’re still really irked about your little INTERNET “gang” being called out for being pro-sexual assault, aren’t you, mate?

I’m not counting the constant hole licking you all give each other as sexual assault, by they way.

Posters only have to answer for other posters if they are members of the same INTERNET gang, and as far as I’m aware, I’m not a member of any gang, online or otherwise.

So we all know who’s the one who has the answering to do.

Nice attempt at deflection, by the way.

You’ve clearly been studying Trump’s techniques and copying them, but that doesn’t surprise me.