US Politics - A Society in Meltdown

I registered here in 2012.

oooft

On the contrary, Tim, my posting here this evening has been succinct and on point.

Your referencing of Romney referencing Russia as a geopolitical danger in 2012 quite clearly indicates that you see Russia as a geopolitical danger to the US and Europe.

Your consistent support for Trump quite clearly indicates you don’t see Russia as a geopolitical danger to the US and Europe.

You’re trying to occupy two directly conflicting positions at the same time.

This is what happens when you treat politics as tribal. The Republicans are your “tribe”, and it doesn’t matter whether Romney and Trump publicly occupied/occupy two directly conflicting posiitons, they’re both right, because they’re both Republicans!

It’s why a vast swathe of Republican-supporting America is now codding itself that it is “anti-war” when it was rabidly pro-war in 2003. Which is also exactly what Trump has done.

Make people treat politics as tribal and you can get them to believe in any old nonsense, as the example of yourself proves.

You’re as bad as somebody who unquestioningly votes DUP because they’re your “tribe”.

Another wall of text. Going off on tangents about the DUP now.

You must have missed me criticising Trump there a while ago but here we are.

You’re a very strange individual in how you’ve decided to take up US politics as football teams.

It was more fake news.

Not fake news.

The White House confirmed it yesterday.

If you consider that a wall of text you must have the reading age of a three year old, mate.

Simple question: Do you consider Russia a geopolitical danger to the US and Europe or not?

I presume Vlad will get to sit in Trump’s chair in the Oval Office and have access to any classified information he wants. After all, he is the real president and can do whatever the fuck he wants.

@Sidney dishing out the INTERNET beating of all INTERNET beatings here to the forum TRUMPBOTS.

2 Likes

A Tour de France by @Sidney

Here’s a real beauty of a piece from Michael Scheuer, a high profile Trump supporter who was head of the CIA unit assigned to Osama Bin Laden from 1996 to 1999.

In the piece, he implores Trump and Trump supporters to literally murder his political opponents.

It was originally posted on his blog, which he appears to have since taken down.

Who’ll cry “Godwin’s Law” at my comparison of this to what happened in Nazi Germany?

Cc: of @anon7035031 - feel free to compare it to Stalins purges too, by all means.

One gets the distinct impression that there are a hell of a lot of Trump supporters out there that would actually agree with this stuff.

Yes.

I haven’t shifted my opinion on that. If I did, I would acknowledge that. I’m happy to admit when I am wrong or have shifted an opinion.

You can’t though. You are living in a fairy land where you have had a consistent position.

You haven’t.

You have gone along with the Democratic Party. Like a football team.

The odd thing is that outside of “US politics” discussions you are the type who is critical of US foreign policy generally. For example, if you are critical of US policy towards Cuba, Venezuala or Palestine historically, you need to be critical of Democrats too. But that’s not the lense you look at it through in that context. In that context it is the historic European University debating style where the US are the bad old imperialists.

But putting your other hat on, the “US Politics” one, you’re all up into the Punch and Judy show. That’s why you laughed at Romney in 2012 (because Democratic tweeters told you too) and that is why you are laying into Russia now (because Democratic tweeters tell you too).

I guess it’s since European audiences could start accessing US tv easier and the internet that you think this is normal behaviour. You aren’t American. You haven’t been to the US. You aren’t in the Democratic Party. You are a consumer of Twitter. You oddball.

2 Likes

I didn’t have a position on Russia in 2012. Sorry to disappoint you.

I doubt you did either.

Nobody needed any excuse to laugh at Romney in 2012. Read again what your good friend @anon7035031 wrote about him during the campaign. He was right, you know.

So, you finally admit that that you now think Russia is a geopolitical danger to the US and Europe.

And yet you still can’t bring yourself to disassociate yourself from Trump, who is plainly doing Russia’s bidding and being played like a fiddle by Putin.

Anybody who thinks Russia is a geopolitical danger cannot be ambivalent about Trump. He is a total and utter disaster and is attempting to destroy the whole post World War II western order, the European Union (which elsewhere you claim to support), and attempting to destabilise countries which live in fear of Russia. This is exactly what Putin wants him to do.

It’s ironic you mention university debating. You can only dream of attaining such a standard.

There are only three reasons for a non-American such as yourself, or indeed an American, to support the Republican party. i) you hate poor people. ii) you hate non-white people. iii) you’re a fucking idiot.

There have been four Republican US presidents in my lifetime and two Democratic presidents. Of the four Republicans, three have been catastrophically bad presidents, each catastrphically bad one more catastrophically bad than the previous catastrophic one. The previous elected Republican president was catastrophically bad. The two Democratic presidents in my lifetime have undeniably left the US in a better state than they found it, far from perfect as they may have been.

Democrats veer on a spectrum from good to bad, (Schumer the senate leader is useless) but the spectrum is almost always within reasonable enough limits. Most of the Democratic party would probably be moderate Tories were they in Britain.

There is no such equivalence with the Republican party. There is no such a thing as a good Republican. The Republican spectrum veers from bad to clinically insane, with the emphasis on the latter becoming ever stronger with each passing year. They are the most dangerous political institution in the “western” world. Bush I, the only Republican president of my lifetime who wasn’t catastrophically bad, wouldn’t get a look in in the present Republican party and would almost certainly be a Democrat were he around today.

Therefore, in a two party system, any reasonable European will always support the Democrats.

It’s not about a following a football team as it so plainly is with you. It’s about having a handle on reality.

I note that my interest in US politics seems to really irk you. The main reason for that of course is that I keep handing your arse to you on a plate.

I don’t expect much credit for that, because you’re a fucking useless opponent.

You’re missing the whole point sid. The reality is that Obama couldn’t organise a booze-up in a brewery. The Don on the other hand would provide brewery, booze and buxom blondes for every baste there.
You just don’t understand politics.

1 Like

Scheuer is a nutcase, an extremist who has about the same support among the American public as George Hodgkinson who opened fire on congressional Republicans a year ago. I don’t remember you condemning the hate speech from leftists that led to this extreme act. A nutcase ranting on his blog is is no way comparable to Nazi Germany or Stalin’s USSR or Mao’s China, and such comparisons are completely invalid. With the system of government in the US, there is simply no way for extremists to control the state. You saw examples of that this week where Trump was reined in by congress, including Republicans in congress.

I unreservedly condemn anyone who calls for violence against political opponents, from both extremes of the political spectrum, whether it’s a nutcase like this lad or Antifa, who are themselves fascists.

This is where you lose all credibility. You know nothing about the US and have never been there, yet in your head you know exactly what people there are like.

I live in the US and live in a mixed neighborhood of Republicans, Democrats and Independents. I don’t know anyone who hates poor people or anyone who hates non-white people. Some of my Republican friends are the most generous people I have ever met in terms of what they give to the community and their charitable activities, and several of them are non white.

So, up your bollox with your leftist hate speech.

He hasn’t a clue about the greatest country in the world. Gets his opinions from the NYT, Shaun King and teen vogue.

1 Like

It’s incredibly strange. It’s like him screaming that 10s of millions of Americans are anti semites because a few hard right neo Nazis supported Trump (funny how all the Trump hates Jew stuff has gone quiet since).

He thinks everyone who votes Republican is Sean Hannity or Bill O’Reilly.

What would Sidney get up to if he ever touched down in the US I wonder?

I think it’s fairly predictable. We’d have to hide all our women for starters.
We don’t want this happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNhaLUT520