US Politics - A Society in Meltdown

Weren’t you in New York recently?

No I haven’t been in NY for 8 years. I was in San Francisco though in 2017.

Cue lads googling furiously for some unsolved 2017 stalking crimes in San Fran.

2 Likes

:grinning::grinning:

Fuck’s sake, the absolute state of @anon7035031’s interventions in the last few hours.

Mods need to close down his account for the good of the presumably real human being behind it, it would be by far the kindest thing to do for him.

And for those who have his posts inflicted on them.

He’s like the internet equivalent of this:

Take your meds mate.

Please read my previous post on this thread.

I sense a ‘but Obama’ incoming

1 Like

The US trade deficit is widening due to the strength of the US economy. As so much consumer goods are made in China and elsewhere in Asia, the trade deficit is a reflection of how much purchasing power US consumers have.

Wrong.

And conversely a reflection of the lack of demand for American produced goods. Widening deficits are generally not perceived to be a positive as you have alluded to. It leads to an outflow of currency and reduced demand for domestic product which causes unemployment.

1 Like

In the current global economy it’s literally impossible in developed countries to grow domestic economies while reducing deficits. The reverse is actually true, shrinking deficits are a sign of economic contraction, as in 2008/09. US unemployment is at 4% though, so a long way from a problem yet.

What about Ireland inc?

Biggest risk to Ireland imo is over reliance on corporate tax intake form a relatively small number of MNCs. With debt/GDP at roughly 100% that’s a scary proposition if there’s a global slowdown.

But Ireland has grown its economy whilst shrinking its deficit has it not?

Budget deficit or trade deficit?

Dunno bud, thats what im asking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72CpCR3ZoQ

Ireland hasnt had a trade defecit in years kid

1 Like