Useless cagers and annoying habits

In the UK, drivers can be fined 150% of their weekly salary under new rules.:astonished:

I suppose it is equitable in a way, even if it does punish the honest paye workers that actually delare their income more

A pal who works in a bank recently got a 1k speeding fine and three points (bringing him to 12)

Wouldnā€™t you think the stupid cunt would have learned his lesson by now.

You would indeed. Stupid cunt of a br Er pal

Yes I think this will finally deal with the problem of unemployed young buckos hurtling around country roads in the middle of the night in their modified Hondas. Theyā€™ll be sick at the thought of a fine linked to their dole payment.

2 Likes

I donā€™t really mind the idea. Lower speed saves lives. I get that.
The devil is in the detail. But a few problems I have with it.

1. In the UK ā€œ150% of their weekly salaryā€. Is this Gross salary or Net? Probably Gross which would be even more severe.
  2. As insurance costs are such a mess and any kind of tip or points has a large impact on premiums, this on top of it is heavy compound of penalties. Is the compound of penalties for going marginally faster than instructed equitable with punishments for other crimes?
  3. Anything, no matter how small, that works as a disincentive to get a job is a bad thing.
  4. I could see it becoming a nice cash cow for corrupt gardai at higher levels. Some big wig gets stopped by guard for speeding. Would cost big wig 5k, subtly altered to 500 cash to proceed with just a caution. Win-win.
  5. Very much open to manipulation about what a personā€™s weekly salary is. For e.g. self employed. So becomes more imbalanced on PAYE workers.

This was one of the issues the introduction of penalty points was supposed to address.

Multiple fines for speeding may not be a deterrent if youā€™re wealthy but accumulate enough points and youā€™re off the road.

3 Likes

The best deterrent for speed Iā€™very seen is the point to point cameras which calculate average speed. Iā€™d imagine it would be easy enough install. Unsure of any problems with it though.

signing in. Am still unsure if Iā€™m getting penalty points or if I just got a talking to for driving too fast on the motorway Monday

How much over were you?

I was tipping a bit over the 160 at one stage but the Garda told me I was clocked at 148 - thankfully Iā€™d slowed down a tad before the unmarked Hyundai noticed me. She didnā€™t show me the speed gun with reading, which a friend (in the know) told me she should have if there was a fine forthcoming

Had you a few pints in you?

None pal. On a drink ban until Sunday afternoon

Iā€™m sure sheā€™s well used to folk attempting to get out of Tipp as quick as they can and made allowances.

1 Like

I was in Clareā€¦

Perhaps the newer cars have the dash-mounted camera and they arenā€™t obliged to show it to you?

Iā€™ve seen that silver Hyundai on the Tunnel road a few times.

Good going.

Iā€™d pay that finee and takemy points. Youā€™re bordering on a dangerous driving charge there.

Youā€™ll be done. They didnā€™t stop you for a chat.

Iā€™d imagine I will but the lad who I chatted to since (who is a Garda) reckons that 148km isnā€™t too bad but Iā€™m expecting a fine and 3 points any day now.