Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Drink it in Daaaannnn

2 Likes

Buff will love that

He was. He scored the first goal for them.

Arenā€™t they first cousins? Big Dan took a cookie from the Cookie Jar there at one stage I think.

40 since January according to Wikipedia.com

Yes , I understand they are first cousins .

And Big Dan taking the cookie from the cookie jarā€¦would I be accurate there too?! :joy:

Marmite McGrath is the DĆ©iseā€™s Arsene Wenger

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/marmite-mcgrath-is-the-dises-arsene-wenger-35644141.html

What a pointless waste of ink that was, Marmite is probably too busy above in mellary batein his chest with a crucifix to be giving interviews at the moment so he gets his brother in law to put this site together. Unbelievableā€¦

You are obsessed with Derek.

1 Like

@Fagan_ODowd, @anon70480284 - what do Waterford need for 2018 and beyond if they are to make the next leap?

A few forwards

DAVY.

Dan as manager.

Well we have heaps of forwards. The question is how we use them. Three of the starting forwards yesterday didnā€™t score. I donā€™t think two of them even had a shot. The same two didnā€™t score against Cork and one of the two didnā€™t score against Wexford while the other scored just once. So on a team that is only starting with 5 forwards, you have two of the 5 playing in a hybrid defensive attacker type role that doesnā€™t involve scoring. Bear in mind too that the Brick is a negligible scoring threat - there were times yesterday when he had the ball in acres of space and he just wouldnā€™t shoot and Mahony was scoreless from play in two games this year and you are lead to the conclusion that if you run into a referee like Horgan who will let the game run and you hold Austin Gleeson then there is nowhere for the scores to comefrom. Our backs and midfield scored 2-3, our subs scored 0-2, we got 7 frees. Our starting attack plus Maurice who was on the field for 50 minutes scored 0-5 from play. It was actually miraculous that we were still in the game with a minute to go.

Galway starting forwards scored 0-13 from play.

5 Likes

Without being too harsh on the chap, we need a full back and we wouldnā€™t have to play such an exaggerated sweeper and we could push up in the forwards, imagine if Waterford had Daithi Burkeā€¦
I do hope that Derek stays as we are within touching distance and we have made progress every year plus there are no names jumping off the page to take over from Derek, maybe Fergal Hartley but I would like to see Derek stay on

1 Like

Derek is a very decent man. How would you feel about him staying on or is a fresh voice required? Yesterday really demonstrated conclusively that the forward play has to improve significantly for Waterford to win the big prize. Derek is a teacher, guru, mentor, friend, shoulder to cry on to these players and if he does leave, you would imagine it will be on his own terms.

You would think that there was enough evidence yesterday to at least tempt him to give it one last shot

Lads

Conor Gleeson was a loss yesterday . Also can Tom Devine be a factor next year . He has athleticism and a massive physical presence . I think he could be a real foil for the Bennetts and Patrick Curran .

But the killing thing is, TDB is a ready made FB. He was an outstanding Minor in the position in 2012.

Brick and Moran led the charge for ye yesterday Fagan. May not be natural forwards (or even unnatural in Brickā€™s case) but ye were lost when they tired and could no longer get the ball in their hands. Lots of talented forwards in Waterford but without some highly effective ball winners theyā€™ll make no impact in a 5 v. 6 setup.