Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Barry Coughlan had one of his better games yesterday. For the first 50 minutes of so anyway until he saw off Jonathan Glynn for an early shower. Niall Burke caused him problems when he came on.

I like Derek. I hope he stays. Unlike the devastation of 2008, we have something to build on from our final experience. Heā€™ll know that weā€™ve built incrementally throughout his term, every year being a bit better than the year before. Next year then is the key year. He has a young improving team on the cusp of an All Ireland. They will realise how close they are to the winning line and theyā€™ll work like fuck to get there. He should want to be around for that.

10 Likes

I spotted Tom Devine on the way out of Croke Park yesterday and was thinking the same thing myself. He terrorised the Galway defence in the league quarter final in Salthill back in April and helped himself to two goals as well.

POM is a player who annoys me, he will never win a tussle or rarely get involved in one. If itā€™s not given to him in the loose heā€™s not worth a fuck. Surely playing him anywhere bar corner forward is a waste of time.
His free taking is good tbf.

The teams of the 00ā€™s played 15 men in their positions & went for it but came up short a few times.
The current panel are probably every bit as talented and Iā€™d love to see them take it on conventionally now that they have experience on their side.

His better game? Shur no fucking ball went in there. He was wrestling Glynn to the ground before a ball went in there within 3 minutes. Heā€™s a spoiler who canā€™t defend conventionally.

He isnā€™t a sweet stickman and isnā€™t great in the air but he has real power and directness. He can break the tackle and at that stage things happen. I think Waterford need to get the best of Patrick Curran if they are to improve .

Tommy Dunne offered the view on the radio tonight that Waterford play seven backs not because Derek has no faith in the backs but because we lack enough genuine forwards. He reckons Derek wants to win the defensive half of the field because we canā€™t win the offensive half. Not sure I agree but it was a new take.

Decent crowd in Waterford as well to welcome the team home fair play

1 Like

Not to mention Barron struck down with the flu and Maurice Shanahan possibly being introduced earlier than the script demanded.

They are really not far off it and Brick apart time is on their side. Canā€™t be forgotten that Galway had that AI Final day experience coming into the game. If McGrath has it in him, I would stick with him for one more year. A change in approach,particularly for Waterford, could be a real upheaval for them when they are on the cusp.

1 Like

I agree and disagree . He is not a conventional ball winner and doesnā€™t have real pace but he has a brilliant knack of drifting on to scoring positions and he can finish .

1 Like

They came up short every year in fairness.

De Burca could play anywhere. Man marker, sweeper, stickman. He can hurling any which way.

Could become one of the all time greats by the time heā€™s finished.

I donā€™t think Tom Devine will be able to give the commitment as he enters his final year in medical school.

Brick had his best year this year. Iā€™m not sure why everyone assumes heā€™s done.

He has a point tbf.

Brick & Moran are not out & out forwards.

Curran, Ryan & Dunford bring huge pace to the team & defenders utterly hate seeing that.

I wouldnā€™t fault Derek for his system this year. It worked in all bar 2 games. But, as Galway proved this year, you need to evolve going forward.

Tipperary failed to evolve this year & paid the price in the games that counted,

Curran and Dillon arenā€™t particularly quick

Meant Dunford.

Age , he is a tough fucker and should be donated to science . The gas thing is he is now scoring points I would have thought unimaginable ten nay five years ago .

Curran isnā€™t that quick but he is no slouch . He is a natural finisher and by that I mean a green flag . V

Brick when he came on the scene in 2002 to sink Tipp in Munster was a very good forward.

As the years went on he turned into a savage defender. He gave an awesome display in the League Final in Thurles in 2007.

I thought they should have stuck on Stephen Bennett late in the game when a goal was needed to save the day. Heā€™s a player Iā€™m not entirely convinced about but he has a good eye for a goal and a goal poachers instinct. Iā€™d agree with what @Ashman was saying about Devine acting as a good foil for the likes of Patrick Curran (and the Bennett brother as well) at U21s. It doesnā€™t necessariy translate to senior level, but Derek has never seemed to entirely trust Patrick Curran. Tommy Ryan showed signs that he had the pace to trouble the Galway defence and with Galway so dominant in the air, possibly should have been looking to vary it.

1 Like