Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

Who’s walked away apart from Coughlan?

Devine and Shanahan.

Question marks over whether a high profile set of brothers will commit

Are the brothers that opted out last year in or out for the year ahead?

In last I heard.

I do understand that Munster championship games WILL take place in Walsh park next summer.

Yes. I’ve heard some rumblings on that score of late. Walsh Park would comfortably have catered for some of the crowds at the round robin matches this summer:

Their playing Dublin in a challenge game this night week in Dublin. Not sure of venue yet.

but are you only looking at what crowds attended games far from their home venue when they were dead rubber ones? Hindsight on it is great, but if they are at home to Tipp with both of them top of the table, there is no way it would cater the crowd at all.

On Tom Devine walking, it was never going to work out for him in his profession. GAA is for full time students and teachers or people with very flexible jobs (and in some cases no jobs at all). Being a doctor really doesnt suit an intercounty hurler.

1 Like
3 Likes

There was about 10,000 at the Waterford v Tipperary match. That was Waterford’s second match. Both were still in contention then.

It was Tipps third, after a loss and a draw, so not exactly setting the world on fire. Plus Waterford had received a trouncing the week before in Ennis and with that game on in Limerick and having to go back to Limerick the following week and finishing the last week away to Cork. There is no way that only 10,000 would have been there or wanting to go if that game, even as it was, was in Walsh Park. Crowds turn out in force as bandwagons and form get going.

Hindsight last year on poor Waterford attendances, where they were beaten in every game and every game was an away one, would not be a proper indicator that Walsh park would “comfortably” have catered for the crowds.

1 Like

When Waterford played Tipp in Walsh Park the crowd was an all ticket 17,000. There was still plenty of room. There was no bandwagon element for either team at the time.

This year however there was a perceptible pessimism after the calamities we endured in Ennis.

Depends, what kind of doctor is he? Stephen Lucey played for a ridiculous amount of teams while studying medicine.

The reason he walked is that he got sick of people calling him Tom Deveen.

5 Likes

If Waterford want to play in Walsh park they should just go ahead and do it. Level playing field and all that. If the Munster Council lose a few quid, tough.

8 Likes

It was their own decision to play outside of there iirc.

Waterford look very weak the way they capitulated over Walsh Park compared to how Kildare dug their heels in.

They should be fighting tooth and nail for their home games irrespective of whether the capacity is 5k or 50k.

4 Likes

wasnt the capacity of Walsh Park seriously reduced since though? I thought it was sub 10k, either 8 or 9k is all that was now permissible. Even that figure wouldnt have comfortably held the crowd that was at every game they played last year.

I dont disagree with letting them play in Walsh Park, more so saying Walsh Park in its current state would not be able to cater for the demand. That in itself may not be a bad thing. Full houses with demand are better than half empty stadia with no atmosphere.

The capacity was reduced by health and safety although the ground is still the exact same. Nanny State gorn mad.

2 Likes

#newbridgeornowhere.

Could there be a similar tag line for Walsh park? #walshparkorwalkover

Spot on and if they chose to play in Fraher Field even then so be it .