Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

I wonder did that seep in to the players last year @Fagan_ODowd

#BlaasorNoBlaas

1 Like

The Tony Mansfield Cup is in it’s rightful place tonight.:slightly_smiling_face:

Munster Council voted down a Waterford proposal to play their home games in Nowlan Park

smells like the other Munster counties looking after themselves by disadvantaging Waterford and may be get a Waterford home game as well for their own grounds

Croke Park need to step in here

If a Leinster hurling final can be in Thurles, surely a Munster championship match can be in Nowlan Park

3 Likes

Of course the other Munster counties don’t want to play in the Walsh Park bear pit.

Would you prefer to play them in a tight ground with raucous home support or in neutral Limerick/Thurles/Cork where the chances are Waterford will be outnumbered by the “away” side?

Waterford should be kicking and screaming that they are playing their matches in Walsh Park and that’s it, my suspicion is that the Munster Council may be threatening to withhold any grants for the development of Walsh Park if they dig in.

The Munster Council coffers take a hit if two big games are played with a reduced capacity so they clearly don’t want to lose out on the coin. Surprised Derek McGrath and Waterford CB bent over this summer without a fight.

Personally I’d love to head to a packed, sold out Walsh Park next summer even if it reduces the chances of us beating them, compared to say playing it in a 60% empty Thurles.

3 Likes

Whilst all the above is correct, the point being Waterford asked to play in Nowlan park and that was refused. It would still have been neutral for both sides, but better for Waterford fans

Not sure if you or anyone else on here would know but what way do the gate receipts work in, say, the Munster senior hurling championship?

Does the CB of the host venue of a round robin championship match get 10% of the takings of a game with the rest going to the Munster Council? I could be totally off with that but maybe the possibility of Kilkenny/Leinster GAA making a few quid off the back of the Munster hurling championship also played a part in them turning the application down.

But they were happy for Munster/Tipp to make money off leinster games there?

I don’t know the answer tho, but either way, it’s petty.

The GAA just make it up as they go along.

“We’re not obsessed with finance, we just don’t like games being played outside a certain ground/province unless there’s a clash with an American football match or concert with our favoured venue. Then it’s fine to change.”

2 Likes

I think the fact that Waterford were agreeable to playing in Nolan Park is quite embarrassing.
They should be playing New Championship format games at home as the system was meant.

Say what you like about them being momey grabbing cunts, but the sheer amount of money flowing out of Croke Park to the grass roots is astonishing. Now if they’d only close the tap to Dublin the job would be oxo.

It’s preferable to playing “home” games in Limerick or Ennis anyway, har.

You’re spot on, pal.

Derek will manage Kilkenny junior club Mooncoin next year.

Any link with them? Seems a strange one, and a great coup for them.

I think the only link with them is he sent them his SEPA details. Nearest Kilkenny club to Waterford.

Ah no self respecting club managers goes online.

Are Carrigeen still going outside Mooncoin?

I believe so.

Were they relegated. ? The were in the all Ireland junior final a couple of years ago . Mayfield beat them .