Waterford Hurling (now incorporating intermediate football) 2013 and subsequent years

The one thing Waterford have in common with Wexford is the ability to grievously disappoint their supporters.

[QUOTE=ā€œFagan ODowd, post: 1111260, member: 706ā€]Comfortable win for the Deise today against a poor Wexford team. Wexfords touch and tactics were awful all through. Once Waterford pulled ahead in the first half Wexford were bereft of ideas and we won at our ease.

Tadgh de Burca and Brick Walsh were outstanding. NoĆ«l Connors and Philip Mahony had fine games too. Overall the work rate and hooking and blocking hinted at a United camp and manager Derek McGrath is already vindicated in ridding the panel of deadwood over the winter. If weā€™d cut down on bad wides weā€™d have won this by 15 points such was our dominance.

Overall we are deserved winners of the division having had our three toughest games away from home and conceding only 3 goals along the way. And we are the only unbeaten team in division 1.

A good start to the year. Tough tests to come.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully the Scully Ryan brigade will now shut their mouths. The abuse he got for cutting the likes of Lawlor and Nagle etc and persisting with young talent. I think Waterford will be a real force again very soon. Pity we wonā€™t get a shot at Kilkenny next year in the league (maybe if they make it to the quarters through 1b)!

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Tipperary on Sunday in the Allianz Hurling League Semi Final has been announced

1. Stephen Oā€™Keeffe Ballygunner
  2. Shane Fives Tourin
  3. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
  4. Noel Connors Passage
  5. Tadhg de BĆŗrca Clashmore Kinsalebeg
  6. Austin Gleeson The Premier Club
  7. Philip Mahony Ballygunner
  8. Jamie Barron Fourmilewater
  9. Tom Devine Modeligo
  10. Kevin Moran De La Salle
  11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
  12. Jake Dillon De La Salle
  13. Brian Oā€™Halloran Clashmore Kinsalebeg
  14. Michael Walsh Stradbally
  15. Colin Dunford Colligan

The Premier Club?

Mount Sion

Good piece about Derek McGrath and what heā€™s trying to do here
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/derek-mcgraths-novel-vision-gradually-taking-shape-31149606.html

@Fagan_ODowd - Bad day at the office yesterday. Roanmore 2-17 Mount Sion 0-13.

It was indeed.

Was Gleeson full forward?

Gleeson went off early with a knee injury and is rated doubtful for the rest of the year

Iā€™m told that Brick Walsh had a breakdown when the news was relayed to him.

It was mentioned elsewhere that Seamus Power off the 1959 All Ireland winning team has died. Thatā€™s quite a few of them who have gone in recent years, Tom Cheasty, Frankie Walsh, Ned Power and Charlie Ware. Is there many of them alive at this stage. I know Austin Flynn is as he was sitting in front of me at last yearā€™s Munster Final.

Of the Mount Sion men on the team Mick Flannelly Larry Guinan and Martin Og Morrisey are still alive.

Seamus Power had been ill for a while. But he was a great age, 87. He was a terrifying prospect in his day. He scored the equalizer in the drawn game in the 1959 final.

2 Likes

At the removal last night it was the common view that there are six surviving members of the 1959 team.
Of these five were present
Martin Og, Larry Guinan and Mick Flannelly. Tom Cunningham of Dungarvan and Austin Flynn of Abbeyside. The sixth, Mick O Connor of Cappiquin was not present.

Is that the same Tom Cunningham that was chairman of the Waterford County Board?

Six Mount Sion men on the starting team in 1959, Martin Og Morrissey, Philly Grimes, Seamus Power, Mick Flannelly, Frankie Walsh and Larry Guinan. I doubt thereā€™s too many All Ireland Senior Hurling winning sides that featured 6 from the same club in the starting XV. I can think of a number of instances of 4 & 5 but no other off the top of my head with 6.

Thatā€™s a different Tom Cunningham, heā€™s from Stradbally and he was there last night.

That Mount Sion club team was one of the greatest ever. Seamus Power won 12 senior club hurling titles and four senior football titles in 13 years. He also won a North Tipperary SHC with Roscrea when he was working there with the post office and served a one year ban for playing rugby.

Yes, they won 12 out of 13 Senior Hurling Championships from 1953 to 1965. My late father-in-law was on the Erins Own team that interrupted that cycle in 1962.

1 Like

Informative rating.

@Fagan_ODowd
Were they a ā€œpureā€ local Mount Sion team?

Ahane won 14 out of 15 titles in Limerick with two 7 in a rows but had filled out the team with players from other junior clubs

They were.