Wearing of facemasks. Yay, or Nay?

Why are they advising you to wash your hands so

You’d have roasters hocking up bits of their morning Corn Flakes into them like animals. Using the same masks for a few days like they would a pair of socks

Does it work the same if you turn the mask inside out?

If you have a mask wear it , or a buff or a scarf for the next few weeks. That lad on the apprentice a few years ago who made the wrist bands will be all over county face masks . Half and half ones too

That’s just common sense. Has one of these science freaks admitted they’ve got it wrong or that they simply haven’t a notion.

Have you ever admitted you got anything wrong?

Try that with a condom same thing

Yes loads of times.

Even if the guidance risks making you ill? Not a chance.

Science never claims to get things right, science is an ongoing endeavor and new theories replace old ones all the time. The lads mocking science on this thread are clueless, you should avoid their opinions like the plague.

New knowledge changes everything. Science reacts.

I’m a fidgeter. I know if I had a mask on I’d be pawing at it and pulling it down and up. It would be pointless

It’s generally science that discovers knowledge from laborious analysis of data. Occasionally something new turns up out of the blue.

Have you not learned not to touch your face yet?

If I’m idle my hands are either on my chin or my balls, depending on the social circumstance

2 Likes

Cloth masks are not recommended because of the fact that moisture retention, reuse of cloth masks and poor filtration may result in increased risk of infection.

Other masks contain compounds that are carcinogenic.

I’ll take my chances without.

If I was caring for someone that was elderly or sick I’d take the chance and I’d make a supreme effort to not touch my face.

As it is, I’ll be super conscious about social distancing because I think we need to be right now, and I’ll wash my hands when I remember. And if I don’t remember my little one is on me like shit on a fly to wash them anyway

The neck on this cunt.

No, seriously. Look at the neck on him. WTF?!

1 Like

Xiao J, Shiu E, Gao H, et al. Nonpharmaceutical Measures for Pandemic Influenza in Nonhealthcare Settings—Personal Protective and Environmental Measures. Emerging Infectious Diseases . 2020;26(5):967-975. doi:10.3201/eid2605.190994.

Not the easiest read, so here are the pertinent points:

…In our systematic review, we identified 10 RCTs [randomized controlled trials] that reported estimates of the effectiveness of face masks in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza virus infections in the community from literature published during 1946-July 27, 2018. In pooled analysis, we found no significant reduction in influenza transmission with the use of face masks…

…Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids…

…There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza…

…In this review, we did not find evidence to support a protective effect of personal protective measures or environmental measures in reducing influenza transmission…

…We did not find evidence that surgical-type face masks are effective in reducing laboratory-confirmed influenza transmission, either when worn by infected persons (source control) or by persons in the general community to reduce their susceptibility…

Signing in. I have a few lovely facemasks to wear there. Great to do my bit to put people at ease.