Wexford GAA 2008

We seem to be fairly uniform as regards our opinions on who played well based on the ratings. I totally agree with your point Monkey Allen about the number of goal chances we give up though and it definitely emanates, as you say, from the desire of our corner backs to drive forward and in the process leaving an attacker isolated in a one-on-one with oceans of space either side of him. That’s why I expect that David Walsh will come in corner back against Laois, with Malone in the other corner and Nially Murphy and Morrissey battling it out for one wing back position and Colm Morris assured of the other half back spot.

Relive the greatest comeback in history on Setanta Ireland now.

Wexford 2-14 Meath 2-13

This first half has been absolutely diabolical. I can’t believe how bad we’ve been. I’m seriously gutted because I had high hopes for us this season. Now we’ve gone and fooked things up completely. Do we have any chance of coming back? Fooking hell yeah. Gwan Wexford!

Watched it 3 times since and we were diabolical. Referee robbed Meath in fairness.
Did he shite! http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
We were a team possessed in the 2nd half. Still haven’t seen any of these supposed “soft” frees that Coyle was on about. Noticed too in the 1st half, when Meath were attacking for another goal just after their 2nd and yer mna tries to sorta handpass it into the goal. Anyway, the ball is taken off the line and he handpasses the ball to another Wexford player. Meath’s Stephen Bray wrestles the ball away from our player and the referee gives a free out to Wexford. So at least he was being consistent later on when Sheridan wrestled the ball away from Masterson.

Here’s the incident with Masterson. Theres actually 2 fouls happeming at once. Hand on the back AND grabbing possession of the ball. Both of which are against the rules.
Case closed.

A message from Bandage to Meath:

Can you hear me Colm Coyle? Your boys took one hell of a beating. Can you hear me Graham Geraghty? Can you hear me Kevin Reilly? Can you hear me now Joe Sheridan? Can you hear me Pierce Brosnan, Dylan Moran, Hector from TG4? Can you hear me Mick Lyons, Colm O’Rourke, Gerry McEntee? Can you hear me Liam Hayes, Liam Harnan, Kevin Foley? Can you hear me Sean Boylan? Can you hear me Francis Beaufort, John Boyle O’Reilly, Shane Horgan, Francis Ledwidge, Joe Rooney, Tommy Tiernan? Can you hear me now Charles Ylverton O’Connor? Can you fooking hear me? Your boys took one hell of a beating. One hell of a fooking beating. Can you hear me now Fergal Lynch from the Meath Chronicle you bitter fookwit? Can you hear me Meath? Can you fooking hear me now you bottling bastards? Can you hear me now? Wexford 2-14 Meath 2-13. Can you hear me now?

Fucking Mountcharles got off lightly.

Would be absolutely raging if that was the Meath 'keeper and a Wexford forward was blown for disposessing him like that.

If it had been Wallace or another outfield player there would’ve been no free, just steeped it was Masterson. What in the name of fook was he doing engaging with Sheridan in the first place with the ball in the wrong hand to take the tackle.

Coyle was wrong though to say that Deegan only whistled when the goal was scored. His whistle can clearly be heard when the ball came loose(a word that repeatedly gets mixed up with lose).

Still can’t get over Coyler’s insinuation that a Laois ref would want Meath to win even though we’ve no beaten them 5 times on the spin. Weird and delusional. And in my opinion, the 06 performance against Meath was a far more impressive overall display but naturally the nature of Sunday’s win makes it more spectacular.

I’d agree with that but don’t forget they had Peadar Byrne sent off in the first half in 2006 and we had more space as a result.

That is true but the first 45 mins on Sunday was reminiscint of the sad May day in '95 when Carlow kicked the sceidht out of us in Dr Cullen Park. It took me years to get over that defeat.

Meath were so for the last 20 mins that the TFK 6 a side team would probably have hed their own against them, so I’ll still side with the 06 performance. Not a very relavent point though.

[quote=“Appendage”]Would be absolutely raging if that was the Meath 'keeper and a Wexford forward was blown for disposessing him like that.

If it had been Wallace or another outfield player there would’ve been no free, just steeped it was Masterson. What in the name of fook was he doing engaging with Sheridan in the first place with the ball in the wrong hand to take the tackle.

Coyle was wrong though to say that Deegan only whistled when the goal was scored. His whistle can clearly be heard when the ball came loose(a word that repeatedly gets mixed up with lose).

Still can’t get over Coyler’s insinuation that a Laois ref would want Meath to win even though we’ve no beaten them 5 times on the spin. Weird and delusional. And in my opinion, the 06 performance against Meath was a far more impressive overall display but naturally the nature of Sunday’s win makes it more spectacular.[/quote]

The referee blew for the same foul in the 1st half when Stephen Bray wrestled the ball from a Wexford defender’s hands (can’t think who it was now). It was a minute or 2 after Meath scored their 2nd Goal and Wallace cleared from the goal line after a Meath Forward handpassed it in.

As I say, I agree that 2006 was a better performance but, like you mentioned, it’s the manner of this victory that makes it so fooking sweet. Was 1995 that game where Carlow put 4 goals past us?

Pike(y)man, I copped that incident watching the game in full last night night. Just after Wallace intercepted Ward’s cross/shot off the line, he handpassed out to Morris and Bray came in and grabbed onto the ball and tried to drag it from his grasp and the ref immediately awarded a free.

It’s fairly fooking funny when you step back for a second and realise that there’s loads of Meath folk clinging onto this decision and blaming the ref when they should be looking inwards and wondering how a county famed for producing hard and mentally strong teams crumbled completely in the face of Wexford’s comeback.

Ya but what Sheridan was fookin harmless. It wasn’t exactly wrestled out of his hands and I think Masteron initially thought he had made a right fook of it. I couldn’t believe we got the free out to be honest - was standing on the terrace almost opposite it.

Was thinking about the supporter apathy towards the footballers, a point raised here and on another thread.

The actual core base of regular travelling GAA supporters is not that high. If you take it that senior hurling county finals have a gate of 8 or 9000 with maybe 4 or 5000 going to the football equivalent then its easy to see that the following that the hurlers have in the past got is completely out of kilter with people who regularly follow gaelic games in Wexford.

The senior hurling team “championship” support base, while getting smaller with recent results is still fairly big. The guts of 30000 wexicans hit Croker in 2004 on a couple of occasions but in my opinion thousands of these people are event junkies as Bandage describe in the bandwagon thread. And they haven’t a fooking clue about sport - never mind hurling.

I know particular people who would consider themselves Wexford hurling afficiandos, as in they go to Croke Park and maybe Kilkenny if its fine but until recently they were unfamiliar with the concept of GAA clubs and each player having a club. Unbelievable. Funny though.

Overall though there is a higher interest in hurling across the county, and I can’t see the footballers having a massive crowd for the Laois game either however unfair it may be perceived to be. Its like Wexford Youths, not matter how well they do, fook all people will go to Newcastle. The interest just isn’t there.

If I was a footballer I’d be happy enough with the crowd that are going, because they actually give a fook and don’t go coz its fashionable.

And as aside to that rambling post - Spillane put it to McStay on Sunday night that Wexford were more than a one man team. And McStay said yes of course and proceeded to blabber away for 5 mins but was unable to mention a single other Wexford player. He annoys the me intensely. As does that Tony Davis clown.

That’s hilarious about McStay and I thought the exact same thing myself. ‘Well Pat, I never said they’re a one-man team. They’re far from a one-man team as they showed today and it’s certainly not all about Matty Forde. They’ve got plenty of other good players and they’re a fine side full of these players…’

And you’re just waiting for him to name another player and he couldn’t. When I used to be on AFR I read a thread once where the majority were lauding him as a quality pundit and I was flabbergasted. He’s a whiny little arsehole who spouts utter shite. What annoys me most is when he brings Americanisms or basketball vernacular or made up phrases into the analysis. During his analysis of the Derry-Donegal game he was on about Derry’s tactic of ‘emptying the corners’. In actuality, this was having a 2-man full forward line and most GAA people call it exactly that - ‘a 2-man full forward line’. Like, what’s wrong with the fool?

Darragh Maloneys views on Wexford

Wexford are the team everyone is talking about after their incredible win over Meath in Carlow last weekend. They will fear no-one as they try to make it to the Leinster Final for the first time since the 1950s.

They have to play Laois next and they will again go into the game as slight underdogs but that is the perfect situation for them. Wexford will have taken great confidence and belief from their victory but also from the way they hung in against all the odds when other teams would have fallen away.

They produced one of the most amazing comebacks I have ever seen to beat a team who have become famous for their ‘never say die’ attitude. They came from 10 points down twice to win by a point and set up a mouth-watering semi with Liam Kearns’ side.

Wexford players celebrate their amazing comeback against MeathWexford have come close to making the final in the last few years but have come up short. There will be a lot made of their failure to get to the decider but I have a feeling that will not be a factor for the Slaneysiders in 2008.

Meath were seen by many as the only serious contenders with Dublin for the Leinster title, but, after their exploits last week, Wexford now have to be considered for the top honours in the province. Laois will be boosted by Meath’s exit but they will have to improve significantly on their Wicklow performance if they are to beat Wexford.

This group of Wexford players already had great belief going into the match on Sunday, but they will be at a new high after the Meath match. They were the only unbeaten team in the league but some were concerned that their campaign in NFL Division 3 would not prepare them properly for the big teams who were in the divisions above them. Fermanagh’s recent win over Monaghan would have given them a boost as they were the team that Wexford beat after extra-time in the league final.

Jason Ryan has transformed the Slaneysiders’ fortunesWexford appointed 31-year-old Jason Ryan as their manager for this season and he has been a huge success with this team. Ryan played for Waterford against Wexford in the league last year and his appointment has brought new life to their camp.

He has been an instant hit with the players but his managerial skills were tested to the hilt at half-time last weekend. His team were second best in every area of the field and Meath duly tore them apart. They had conceded two goals but could have let in at least two more in the first 35 minutes, as Meath played some beautiful football. Their 10-point lead was, if anything, a little kind to Wexford.

Wexford set about trying to cut the Royals’ advantage in the early minutes of the second half but it looked like a lost cause. They were seven behind in the early minutes of the half but Meath re-built their 10-point cushion quickly. Joe Sheridan had what appeared to be a perfectly good goal ruled out by Laois referee Maurice Deegan, but, such was their total control, it did not seem important.

Wexford are no longer a team who depend solely on the incredible talents of Matty Forde. He was frozen out for about 50 minutes in Carlow while others like Brian Malone, David Murphy and Thomas Howlin kept Wexford in the game. Forde is one of the most talented forwards you will ever see, but others have developed around him making the team a much more potent force.

Matty Forde delievered in the closiing stages at Dr Cullen ParkBut when Matty was needed he came up with the goods, as all great players do. He must have been very frustrated during the first half when he hardly saw the ball but when the chances came to him, he took them. He kicked some incredible points late in the game to bring them level and then he kicked the winning point in stoppage time. It was fitting that Forde should do that, but if you can get him the ball in the right areas, he will do the rest.

It was an amazing day for Wexford football and they will hope to build on that when they go out again Laois. It will be a cracking game of football!

Heard something about John Meyler at the weekend. Wexford trained on the Sunday morning of the Dublin-Westmeath quarter-final game but he didn’t bother going up to Portlaois(e) to scout the opposition because he wanted to go back to Cork to watch the Cork-Galway challenge that was taking place that Sunday evening in order to watch some ‘real hurling’. You might have seen Brian Cody (who’s team are frankly way, way ahead of us) in the crowd keeping tabs on Offaly but our manager couldn’t even be arsed doing likewise for our potential semi-final opponents. I wonder if he even bothered watching a video of the game? We’re not good enough to be arrogantly dismissive of the opposition and I would have expected Meyler to realise that given some of the performances he’s overseen. Meyler out.

If true, thats shocking. Heard a rumour as well about a huge row between 2 of the panel members after the Galway challenge match. Seems some of them not that happy with each other and with management. Doesnt seem like a happy camp at the moment at all.

Which players were fightin Mac?

Ya’s are stirring shite im afraid lads, there was no row and as far as i know willlie sunderland and nick byrne went to that dublin game, sure why do we need meyler there? he knows nothing according to all of ya’s.

Anyway, enough of the shite talk… looking to saturday, can’t wait, is there gonna be a performance, or is there gonna be an almighty wallop that were just no good anymore, i hope the former. I think we can win, i hope a big support travel to get behind the lads, it’s well needed.

Gavin, I wouldn’t just expect the county manager to have attended the Dublin-Westmeath game - I would have demanded it. It’s disrespectful and complacent not to bother watching the opposition. We need to get rid of Meyler, Sunderland and Byrne and replace them with the all Faythe Harriers trio of Eddie ‘Heffo’ Walsh, Tony ‘Sack’ Walsh and Big William Murphy.