Wexford GAA 2008

[quote=“Bandage”]We’re playing Offaly in the U-21 Hurling Semi-Final in Birr tonight. They’ve a young senior team and have a handful of them playing, whereas we’re a bit inexperienced in comparison with David Redmond and PJ Nolan being our only starters who’ve played senior championship this season. Other lads like Clive Lawler have played senior in the past though and there are others who played U-21 last year so we should be able to give a good account of ourselves.

Wexford U21 Hurling Team:

Michael Walsh (Capt.),
Paddy Whitely, Conor Harrington, Ciarn OShaughnessy,
Brendan Hobbs, Clive Lawler, Ben OConnor,
Mark Molloy, David Redmond,
Garrett Sinnott, Toms Waters, PJ Nolan,
Paul Nolan, Thomas Barron, Keith Burke.[/quote]
If I remember correctly it’s Lawler, B. O’Connor, Redmond, Sinnot, Waters and PJ Nolan from last year’s U21 team. Burke might have been there too. There’s a bit of experience there at least. But as you say Bandage, it’s in Offaly’s court and they’re expecting a lot of their team this year.
Gwan Wexford.

Out of the country with limited access, just want to say congrats to the Wexford folks, far hungrier side, ye played with pride, thats all an supporter can ask for.

Good on ya MBB

Offaly won 2-16 to 1-11.

Wexford finished with 13 men, a man sent off in either half.
1-12 to 1-04 at half time.

[quote=“Pikeman”]Offaly won 2-16 to 1-11.

Wexford finished with 13 men, a man sent off in either half.
1-12 to 1-04 at half time.

[/quote]

Thats one wheel gone

Good man.

On Cloud 9

For the week that’s in it.

Who is he stamping on there ?

How the hell would I know-can’t see from his waist down!!
Probably stamping on a Leitrim attempt of a footballer.
Gwan Matty boy.

Disappointing result. We got thoroughly outplayed according to my brother who attended. I’ll try to get some more details from him.

I have done some investigative work on the Wexford U-21 result from last night.

1. How To Treat People
Faythe Harriers’ Lee Murphy worked hard all year with the panel but got injured and wasn’t passed fit for last night. On Monday night the Under-21s had their final meeting and the gear was being given out - the usual, socks, shorts, t-shirt. Lee would have been on the team and as lads started coming up to get their gear, Lee went up and was promptly told there was none for him so he had to walk back down the room. Talk about humiliation. And to do that to a Harrier.

There are two points to make:

1. The only reason he didn’t make it was due to injury. He had burst his balls before and since. Are we that mean and petty that we only give out gear to the 24 who made the official panel? Yes.

2. Why wasn’t Lee called to one side beforehand and told he wasn’t getting gear - no matter how wrong that is? Why let him be humiliated? Absolute balls.

2. Preparation
The person responsible got on the bus and announced that (s)he had forgotten the water and sports drinks. No apology, just an announcement. When the bus stopped in Bunclody all the players had to get off and buy their own water, lucozade sport and stuff. These are the things Joe Public never hears about but they will now courtesy of thefreekick.com.

3. The Game
Notwithstanding that preparation was poor because they weren’t let train until January and challenge games were restricted, this was a piss poor display.

Before throw-in there was no sliothar, and lads were wound up when waiting. An Offaly lad pulled raw at the start but Domo Connolly only gave a free and no card or black book.

Less than two minutes in an Offaly lad broke away from David Redmond who gave him a snig, no more, yer man was gone. Ref stopped play and yellow card.

27 minutes in, Redmond pulled a bit raw in a tussle for the ball with about four players - no injury to the other lad, but second yellow when black book would have sufficed. By that stage it was 1-10 to 1-4 and we wouldn’t have won with him anyway.

Ended with 13. In the seventh minute of injury time, from five announced, Garrett Sinnott drove his hurl into a back’s face off ball. Ref consulted with umpires - second yellow and off.

Again, PJ Nolan did all the nice little fancy things when he got the ball on a plate, but won’t fight for it, blames everyone bar himself and was shown up last night.

Another was Clive Lawlor who was taken to the cleaners at centre-back before moving to the wing where he was repeatedly hooked. This guy seemingly has a bit of an attitude problem. Thinks he’s ‘Billy Big Biscuits’ and repeatedly answers back at training and goes around moaning. Pity because he’s talented.

Apparently Keith Burke is getting fatter by the day. His man boobs are bigger than mine and he can’t run - he just waddles.

The one bright aspect was Tommy Barron at full-forward. Got the best goal our TFK reporter has ever seen from a Wexford hurler. First-half, against wind, Lawlor sent in big high free that hung for an age in the air, big crowd on the edge of square, natural instinct for someone like Banville would be to put his hand up and drop it. Barron met it in mid-air, as sweet as you will ever see, and drove the top of the net out of it. Brilliant. He moved to right wing and had brought his tally to 1-4 from play when he got an injury on the far side and had to be helped off. Ought to be in Senior panel immediately. Nick Byrne was there but no sign of Sunderland or Meyler.

They brought on Brendan Travers full-back at half-time and he played well, himself and Ciarn O’Shaughnessy tried hard in full-back line. Ben O’Connor best of a very weak half-back line.

Mossy Waters hurled a bit of ball after moving from centre-forward to wing-back.

Offaly are shite. Led 1-12 to 1-4 at half-time, then with us down to 14, they only scored 1-1 in first 20 minutes of second-half. Then brought on Daniel Currams and he scored three points from play. Final score 2-16 1-11.

Big crowd, good Wexford following, Birr re-opened for first time since April last year after new pitch laid. Immaculate.

Team:
Michael Walsh (Ferns, capt.);
Ciarn ‘Knockey’ O’Shaughnessy (Shels),
Conor Harrington (Cloughbawn),
Paddy Whiteley (Rathnure);
Ben O’Connor (Oulart, 0-1),
Clive Lawlor (Shels),
Brendan Hobbs (Tara Rocks);
Mark Molloy (Ramsgrange),
David Redmond (Oulart);
P.J. Nolan (Askamore, 0-2),
Toms Waters (Martin’s),
Garrett Sinnott (Oulart);
Paul ‘Yom’ Nolan (Duffry),
Tommy Barron (Shels, 1-4),
Keith Burke (Buffer’s Alley, 0-2 frees).

Subs: Brendan Travers (Gorey) for Harrington, George Wheelock (Shamrocks, 0-1) for Molloy, Noel Walsh (Harriers, 0-1) for Barron, inj., Anthony Storey (Oulart) for Paul Nolan, also Niall Maher (Duffry), Rory Griffin (Rosslare), Colin Leacy (Ferns), Colm Kennelly (Ballygarrett), Rory Wilson (Martin’s).

I spoke to Mac and Pikeman before about this panel too Bandage, and how I know of certain players who were completely fcuked around. In the trial stages, a chap I know was flying, and according to one of the starting players from last night, he was by far one of the best players showing up in the trials. He wouldnt be from a strong club or anything, but was flying in the league, coming up against current and past intercounty players and playing class. At this stage, the U.21 dual players had not yet been active with the hurling, but once they lost to Kildare, this player wasnt even told he wasnt wanted back. he had to ring the manager to see what was going on, and was apologised to and told that one of the selectors should have rang him to let him know he wouldnt be kept on.

Back in March it sounded to me like there was feck all organisational skills associated with this U.21 set up, and after reading what you have said, it really sounds that way.

If the Wexford county board had got their fecking fixtures set up right, then at least we could have seen championship games and players like this lad who may have slipped through the net. But because of their bullcrap in waiting around and wrapping our county panels in cotton wool, any decent players missed out on wont get a chance to show up in club championship and stake a claim.

The Last Wexford football team to win Leinster. They beat Offaly in 1945 by 1-9 to 1-4.

Back Row (L-R): Jim Woods, Billy Keilthy, Dermot Clancy, James Murphy, John Lacey, Mylie Morris, Brendan Corish, Jim Coady,
Middle Row (L-R): Jackie Culleton, Tom Somers, Tim O’Leary, Willie Goodison, Michael Hanlon, Joe Nolan, Tim Murphy, Sean Eustace.
Front Row (L-R): Mick Kehoe, James Foley, Paddy Kehoe, Tom Doyle, Ger Kavanagh, Des O’Neill, John Morris, Nickey Rackard, John O’Connor (hidden)

[quote=“Pikeman”]The Last Wexford football team to win Leinster. They beat Offaly in 1945 by 1-9 to 1-4.

Back Row (L-R): Jim Woods, Billy Keilthy, Dermot Clancy, James Murphy, John Lacey, Mylie Morris, Brendan Corish, Jim Coady,
Middle Row (L-R): Jackie Culleton, Tom Somers, Tim O’Leary, Willie Goodison, Michael Hanlon, Joe Nolan, Tim Murphy, Sean Eustace.
Front Row (L-R): Mick Kehoe, James Foley, Paddy Kehoe, Tom Doyle, Ger Kavanagh, Des O’Neill, John Morris, Nickey Rackard, John O’Connor (hidden)

[/quote]

the lad who is directly behind the young girl has his legs spread wider than any other player…sick sick bastard

that wexican is a sick sick paedo

Well he is captain so he has the privilege

thats true

[quote=“Gman”]I spoke to Mac and Pikeman before about this panel too Bandage, and how I know of certain players who were completely fcuked around. In the trial stages, a chap I know was flying, and according to one of the starting players from last night, he was by far one of the best players showing up in the trials. He wouldnt be from a strong club or anything, but was flying in the league, coming up against current and past intercounty players and playing class. At this stage, the U.21 dual players had not yet been active with the hurling, but once they lost to Kildare, this player wasnt even told he wasnt wanted back. he had to ring the manager to see what was going on, and was apologised to and told that one of the selectors should have rang him to let him know he wouldnt be kept on.

Back in March it sounded to me like there was feck all organisational skills associated with this U.21 set up, and after reading what you have said, it really sounds that way.

If the Wexford county board had got their fecking fixtures set up right, then at least we could have seen championship games and players like this lad who may have slipped through the net. But because of their bullcrap in waiting around and wrapping our county panels in cotton wool, any decent players missed out on wont get a chance to show up in club championship and stake a claim.[/quote]
That’s disappointing to hear from ye both about the goings on in underage. Thought all that sorta shite was gone years ago.

If anyone’s going to the minor hurling replay then I’d appreciate a bit of a report please.

Unfortunately, I can’t snub Rocko’s wedding for it.

Oh! It’s great being from Wexford!

Wexford 1-15 Dublin 2-11

Poor standard to be honest but still a good win as they had to come from 4 points down midway through the second half.

Ref destroyed the game as he blew for frees every 30 seconds and didn’t allow any contact between players. Dublin manager had to be pulled away from him after the game and he had good reason to be upset.After favouring Dublin in the first half he gave Wexford a lot of soft frees in the second. Worst reffing performance I have seen at a level above Junior B.

I’ll give a full match report later if anyone is interested.