Wexford GAA 2008

Why can’t they clarify these things beforehand? After Cork missed their first two games they should have made an announcement then about scoring differences and whether they were being used or not.

There’s always the same type of shoddiness with the GAA. Last year was the same when Offaly were relegated and then kicked up a fuss and the GAA changed their minds about the league format and gave them a reprieve for a year.

I think John Meyler might have been chancing his arm with this when he mentioned it after the game yesterday but all the papers have carried his quotes about getting ready for a play-off with Dublin.

in fariness to the GAA on this one, and it was something I brought up on another site, I had thought that the scoring differences were made null and void for the leagues in hurling and football which have Cork in them. They had made a statement stating as such when Cork were reintroduced. I cant remember if they clarified if there would be playoffs, but if scoring difference is taken out of the equation, then I couldnt have seen any other way of handling it.

From reading today’s paper (Irish Times) it seems that it wasn’t a new rule that was introduced to do with this situation. There’s an existing rule (116) that states:

“If the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, retirement or walkover, the tie shall be decided by a play-off.”

In the instance of Dublin and Cork the accumulated scores of the team are not affected by a disqualificatoin, retirement or walkover. So the Waterford-Cork situation should be resolved by a play-off but the Dublin-Wexford placings aren’t affected so the rule shouldn’t come into play.

its hard to know alright. Tho I think the whole thing was made a farce of by letting Cork back into it all as if nothing happened, and there really isnt any precedent for it all so its all new territory.

either way, Wexford were shite this year and dont deserve to be in Div 1. It’d be justice to Dublin if they beat them in a playoff.

I’d say the hurlers will get their playoff and beat Dublin.

Delighted to see the U21 footballers into a Leinster final. The minor hurlers are also set to play Kilkenny on 6th April so this would be a cracking double header in Wexford Park.

We’re due to play Fermanagh on the same day now and seeing as some of our U21 players are on the senior panel I wonder is there a chance the Fermanagh game might be moved?

im sure the fermanagh game, if it clashes, will be moved. the minor hurlers are indeed due to face Kilkenny in Wexford park on sunday week and are going quite well this year, having beaten some decent teams in challenges. cant see them putting this game back a week for a double header though.

However, i heard something interesting at the weekend in that the U21 football final is supposed to be a neutral venue. Now that wexford have reached it i hope it is not moved. i may be wrong.

Are both of them not due to be played on the 6th Stevie? They’d hardly need to move the hurling by a week would they?

According to this the football will be in Wexford Park:

http://leinster.gaa.ie/fixtures/leinster_U21fc.asp

ye mac my apologies. seems from that that we will have a good double header to look forward to.

In yer face Wexicans ye’re down:

Wexford relegated by CCCC

Following a meeting of the Central Competitions Control Committee this morning, the GAA have confirmed that Wexford will be relegated to Division 2 of the Allianz NHL.

It was also decided that as the scoring difference of both Dublin and Wexford was not affected by the unplayed games in the Division, Dublin, with their superior scoring difference, have finished in fourth place in Division 1A. Dublin will now play in Division 1 in 2009, while Wexford finish fifth and will play in Division 2.

The hurlers of Cork and Waterford (who both finished on six points in Division 1A of the Allianz League) will play-off in Pirc na nGael, Limerick on Sunday next, March 30 at 2.30 pm to establish which of the teams will qualify for the quarter finals in 2nd and which in 3rd place. The CCCC confirmed that as the counties were affected by the unplayed matches in the Division, scoring difference could not be used to determine the final finishing positions.

The CCCC have pointed out that the decisions taken are in accordance with Rule 116 © of the Official Guide which provides for scoring difference as the initial means of deciding qualification for the concluding stages of league competition, or for promotion and relegation except where “…the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by a play off”.

Bandage, Stevie G, Mac, Gman, Appendage, Pikeman, Martin Storey, Kevin Doyle, John Banville, Ivan Yates, Gordon D’Arcy, Nicky Rackard, Sen Fortune, Pdraic Delaney, Ken Chapman (legend). Can you hear me ? Your boys took one hell of a beating.

No room for briantinnion no?

A Fingal supporter celebrating good news for their bitter Dublin hurling rivals!

It’s a Fingal supporter celebrating the demise of one of the old guard. Fingal are not yet competing at the same level as Dublin - we’re only in development. But the likes of Wexford and Louth are beatable and the more games we get to play against Leinster dross the better.

Fluirse talamh is mara.

It’s quite a shambles and the GAA have already contravened their own rulebook by allowing Cork to continue in the league to begin with. Our appeal is still outstanding in that regard - anyone willing to march with me in protest? We’ll decide where from and where to in due course?

…says the guy who laughed when Dessie Dolan wanted to replay the FBD game…

Taking your beating and get down to Division 2 where ye belong.

Quality Rock, Quality.

At the end of it all we deserve to be relegated. If we cant beat Antrim and Dublin in the one year we deserve to go down. While I’d like to think this will give the county board the kick in the arse they need, they’ll probably just use the fact that we were relegated on a technicality as a smoke screen and leave things as they are.

Should set up an interesting Leinster Semi Final against the Dubs. If this Wexford team are to do anything this year then this should be the thing that spurs them on.

Does this mean we play Leitrim next year??

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]…says the guy who laughed when Dessie Dolan wanted to replay the FBD game…

Taking your beating and get down to Division 2 where ye belong.[/quote]

Farmer, I’m not actually going to march. I think most Wexicans would accept that in failing to beat both Antrim and Dublin we don’t have anyone to blame but ourselves for our demotion.

a) Cork should never have been allowed back into it after flagrantly breaking the rules.

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif It should have been clearly stipulated that scoring differences between the other teams shoud stand before the situation arose, so therefore Wexford should be relegated. The key word being before hand. As of Sunday morning scoring difference was not to be applied to the group and now on Tuesday it does.

c) They set a ridiculous precedent last year allowing Offaly - despite being relegated - to stay up and are going to relegate 4 teams this year. Where is the logic in that?

I think justice has been done but a pathetic series of administrative gaffs by the GAA.

cant argue that Wexford were shite and deserved to be relegated. Can strongly argue that Cork shouldnt have been let back in and they should be the ones relegated. Dublin shouldnt have been affected by all this, and better off that they arent. Its our fault we got relegated, but the rule changing is making a farce of it all.

Quotes from Meyler today:

Wexford manager John Meyler was equally dismayed and urged GAA president Nickey Brennan to intervene: "As a hurling man, Brennan has to stand up. I met him before and he knows what’s going on in Wexford and what George O’Connor is trying to do so why can this happen? We know we’re not good enough to compete with Kilkenny at the moment but we’re not going to give up.

“Nickey should be looking after the best interests of hurling and counties like Antrim, Wexford, Laois and Offaly and, for God’s sake, look at reality. It’s not about money and Cork and Kilkenny playing at Nowlan Park. That’s not the only thing that matters; it’s about promotion of the game.”

Funny how he forgot to mention Dublin as one of the counties Nickey Brennan should be looking after.

He’s angling towards the argument that Offaly made last year - it wouldn’t be good for the game if we go down. It’s a reasonable point but really it’s a ridiculous time to be making it. If you don’t think there should be 4 teams relegated the time to protest is back when that is decided, not when you end up being one of those teams.

I’d little sympathy for Offaly’s plight last year because they were happy enough with a closed shop when they were one of the big teams. If you want to allow progression and development then you need to have promotion and relegation. Doesn’t mean the structure is perfect but any qualms Meyler had about that should have been voiced ages ago - this just looks like sour grapes.

Anyway as others have said on here their real beef should be with Cork.