🤷‍♂️ What the fuck is wrong with people?

Im not so sure. Theres a badness in some that theres no explaining.

4 Likes

So a paedophile isn’t born that way, to some extent?

Maybe we cant explain it yet, but no child is born with badness / evil or whatever you want to call it… there’s no such thing as evil really - there’s levels of fucked upness … the human condition in all its glory is psychological.

I was hoping for some bad myself

You’re getting into realm of sexuality now which is something different in many ways … up to recent enough in our history girls were married off at 13/14 - do that now and it’s evil … evil is something that’s associated with a certain set of cultural values that are constantly shifting and evolving - you cant say it’s something concrete

I take your point tho

2 Likes

Yeah - I’m not saying it is a straightforward case of someone being born bad. I think, like everything, a person’s genes carry what is a sense of personality - for instance they may carry a lack of empathy for others but that is only brought out in certain circumstances.

Natural selection traits are a powerful force also. That can come through for instance with someone doing what they want with a female and throwing her at the side of the road.

A lot of stuff going on.

3 Likes

@anon61878697 I agree no one is born “evil” but I absolutely believe some are born with severe mental issues whether that’s some sort of dysfunction in a part of the brain or what I don’t know but definitely something wrong from the start.

2 Likes

Empathy is a huge part of the human psyche, for thousands of years armies have tried to remove it in trying to create the perfect soldier who could kill without remorse or pity, the Nazis and Japs carried out all sorts of mental experiments in trying to do so.

The question then, and it’s not an easy one, is if you accept that there is severe mental issues from birth then is it fair to punish someone for acting on them?

1 Like

I agree with both of you — some people are born with a propensity to do bad things and given a certain set of circumstances they will carry out said acts. Environment plays a big part in this tho also - the brain is constantly changing when developing and children are as likely to grow up and do ‘good’ as they are ‘bad’.

I just think terms like evil are a cop out - even tho I fully get that after reading stories like this, there’s kinda no other way the average person can rationalize it. The workings of the brain have made massive strides in recent years but how does that filter down to every day parenting/living? - we’re all a little fucked up in our own way but thankfully most of us have a moral compass that guides us.

3 Likes

There’s a monster in everybody.

It just takes the wrong combination of factors - nurture and sometimes nature, to unlock it.

1 Like

Snap.

100% if they are committing a crime, I suppose the question is if science could ever pin point it from birth should they be immediately be considered a danger to society and dealt with before they even have a chance to potentially carry out what they are capable of? It’s mad shit.

1 Like

We are all mentally ill mate — it’s probably more amazing that the majority of us hold it together – that’s the real struggle.

It comes down to a sense of right and wrong for me. Or as CM mentioned ‘the moral compass’.

If you can determine the difference, and you still willingly do wrong, then you should be on the hook for whatever.

1 Like

People have freedom of choice. A person might be born a psychopath or sociopath and not be violent, most won’t be violent. For severe mental illness there is an insanity defence.

Remember the story of the lad on an internet forum looking for someone to volunteer so he could kill them and eat their corpse? And he found someone who wanted to do it and went through with it! What the fuck like?

I don’t think it’s all about being mentally ill mate.

The Scotland fella, at 16, had a party in his house until 12.30am and got pissed and tried to source weed.

Parent issues jumping out there. That type of shit has probably been going on for years.

One for the missing members thread?

2 Likes

@artfoley?

1 Like