Iraq / Middle East / Murder Thread

so the west waited ten years and put tanks in estonia as a response?

what do you think should be done in syria?

Should Estonia not be able to have tanks on their territory if they want?

I donā€™t know. Do you?

My best guess is not much, especially when there is no real plan.

Even something that ā€œworkedā€ would likely be a shit show.

I thought Trump was the deal maker supreme? Did he never think of trying to persuade his good friend Putin to sit down with him and other stakeholders and try and work something out?

They have no idea what to do in Syria whatsoever, except to fire off a few missiles and talk tough. A reflection of their broader strategy for the Middle East.

2 Likes

Assuming Assad launched the chemical weapons, and there is no other plausible explanation, Putin due to his relationship with Assad is also culpable. The Russians are at the same base, so hard to imagine they didnā€™t know something in advance.

Having a plan and things going according to plan are very different, especially dealing with conflict and in particular the ME with so many actors involved. Bush/Blair had a plan for Iraq that went tits up quickly, Clinton/Obama had a plan for Libya, ditto. The sign of a good leader is one who is flexible and can respond to a changing environment.

I think this was an appropriate response. Hit Assadā€™s ability to launch such strikes within his own country, and if he does it again wipe out his air force. Regardless of the number of casualties involved versus the overall conflict, the use of chemical weapons is simply appalling.

I agree. Trump should launch a tactical strike on Moscow.

Middle East policy, USA.
(copyright 1950)

(1) Keep the oil suppliers onside and the rest at each others throats while we continue to extract the oil and gas we need.
(2) Sell arms.

3 Likes

Uh oh. Statement from Russian PM Medvedev:

Thatā€™s it. The last remaining election fog has lifted. Instead of an overworked statement about a joint fight against the biggest enemy, Isis (Islamic State), the Trump administration proved that it will fiercely fight the legitimate Syrian government, in a tough contradiction with international law and without UN approval, in violation of its own procedures stipulating that the Congress must first be notified of any military operation unrelated to aggression against the US. On the verge of a military clash with Russia.

Nobody is overestimating the value of pre-election promises, but there must be limits of decency. Beyond that is absolute mistrust. Which is really sad for our now completely ruined relations. And which is good news for terrorists.

One more thing. This military action is a clear indication of the US presidentā€™s extreme dependency on the opinion of the Washington establishment, the one that the new president strongly criticised in his inauguration speech. Soon after his victory, I noted that everything would depend on how soon Trumpā€™s election promises would be broken by the existing power machine. It took only two and a half months.

1 Like

Q.E.D.

What did Mike Tyson say about plans .

I doubt Assad used chemical weaponsā€¦he has the rebels more less beatenā€¦why would he do that now.

It doesnt make senseā€¦whiff of a false flag about this.

1 Like

Why would he do that now?
Because he is a murderous cunt who has done it 3 and possibly 5 times before with no consequences. UN resolutions against him have been vetoed 6 times by Russia and China, so maybe he feels secure they have his back.

2 Likes

Do you think Trump was justified so?

Is there solid evidence available that the Syrian army carried this out?

Of course, all military intelligence from all superpowers is freely available online.

1 Like
  1. Yes, as who else is going to deter him from doing it again? The UN are powerless.
  2. Occamā€™s Razor, heā€™s done it before, the Pentagon have released the flight path of the aircraft that dropped the munitions, autopsies indicate it was sarin.
    What evidence is there someone else did it?

Nothing would surprise me palā€¦I donā€™t think its out of the question to think perhaps this was conducted by terrorists within Syria who are backed by certain states in the regionā€¦blame Assad and off we go again.

It doesnt make logical sense for Assad to do itā€¦upto this point he was winning the war confortably on terrorists.

Heā€™s no saintā€¦but overthrowing these guys has been an absolute disaster.

Maybe it was Hilary the hawk!

1 Like

Theyā€™re all hawks.

1 Like

The oil is almost irrelevant at this stage for the US

1 Like

Em, it made perfect logical sense.