Who wasn't bugging GSOC

I’d say the cops were only too glad to have this as a module as it takes away from the hoorendous stuff they did to the McCabe family.

Note also the way it’s being reported compared to the McCabe module

1 Like

Shit just got real.

Why would he demand new statements ? The originals are either true and factual or a load of bollox. Is he saying they’re a load of bollox? And if so why doesn’t he say that rather than “hey lads, ye might want to tidy up those statements there and resubmit them”

1 Like

I wonder would McCabe have been afforded the same courtesy if he’d been caught telling fibs. Fennelly also allowed top ranking guards to amend/retract statements. No mention of that in his report iirc.

Did you read the linked piece at all?

1 Like

Not really to be honest

5 Likes

Looks like it’s 2 commissioners and 2 MOJs for Maurice

It is utterly appalling. O sullivan will get away Scott free with this.

I don’t think she will. If anyone can get to the bottom of this charleton will and if she’s off on a frolic she’ll be personally liable and I couldn’t see the state standing over any compo bill for her and I wouldn’t be surprised if Maurice, led by McDowell, went after her

I hope they do. It beggars belief this story. The fact that the mainstream media seem to be ignoring it makes it even more stinky.

PS I’d imagine any compo bill would run into millions?

McDowell is half the reason the gardai are so fucked up currently, he’s some fucking ape.

Explain…

He was the minister for justice during the good times. He promised gardai raised by x number as personal election stunt, they had to recruit thousands, this in the time of full employment, he wanted the numbers immediately, they basically had to take in any warm body and put a uniform on them. At the same time did he operate his oversight of the gardai any better than any minister before or since? Did he fuck. The money could have been spent on a modern IT system or many other things needed, but no, mcdowell wanted the numbers up.

This is on Prime Time now

That’s some serious Yes Minister speak in there

Fine Gael are so shit at lying.

Where was Fitzgerald gone to when these questions were tabled anyway?

To summarise your point - young gardai and IT systems that weren’t invested in (apart from PULSE which was upgraded at that time and which assisted in uncovering the breathalyser over-estimates) - are to blame for the variety of gardai scandals uncovered over the last couple of years.

I appreciate you’re not a fan of McDowell but you’re talking through your hole again.

5 Likes

I said half the reason the Gardaí are in the state they’re in. It’s not the scandals it’s the creaking state of the whole organisation. He was the minister during a time period when the were resources to modernise, he had an unprecedented opportunity to improve the organisation. He was more concerned with forcing through numbers changes. He is also a hypocrite because he didn’t exercise his supervision of the Gardaí any better than any other minister.

The problem of that intake was not that they were young GardaĂ­, it was an intake of a huge proportion that would never have passed the interview process in a normal cycle. Think of the knock on effects this would have for an organisation.