Who wasn't bugging GSOC

It wasn’t like they were diluting an elite force though glas.i actually think most gardai are much maligned, but it’s pretty clear there were issues to begin with.

McDowell, and it hurts to type this, did more to keep AGS in check than any of his predecessors. Passed the Garda act, got GSOC off the ground, set up smithwick tribunal and the Garda inspectorate. Others have diluted and distorted his reforms and McDowell can’t be accountable for that

4 Likes

Didn’t know/recall he set up GSOC, that was a major change.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/act/20/section/64/enacted/en/html#sec64

Another FG Taoiseach misleads the dail. Leo can now add liar to his ever expanding resume.

McDowell put Gardai on the streets. He also put regulatory matters on statutory basis so they could not be fobbed off.

Arguable that an officer Corp is needed in the Gardai as the udarmans who rise through the rank and file have shown themselves to be unable to manage a modern police force

1 Like

History will show McDowell to be one of the best people to ever grace the Dail. His gruff nature and lack of empathy for the common man always worked against him. He was also far too intelligent to be a TD.

2 Likes

I don’t agree. He may have been capable but his ego and arrogance led him to think he was dictator. He announced policies on a whim and disregarded the advice of civil servants regularly.
‘hold on lads’., I have the answer… CAFÉ BARS for all.

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

6 Likes

He triggered the property crash here with his announcement on stamp duty. It was going to happen anyway but he set it in motion.

McDowell was able to be sleveen when it suited. The day a story was breaking about his pet Thornton Hall project being a disaster and millions wasted he announced in the dail about frank Connolly’s bird watching activities in Columbia. Of course the Eire media lapped it up and his bad news was buried.

Thats just being crafty tbf.

I dined with McDowell recently. Very good company and extremely inciteful.

He said he would look in on tfk and start posting before the year end.

3 Likes

2 words: Thornton hall

1 Like

Julio McCreevy

Do you have a beard by any chance?

Indeed. A visionary. Not his fault civil servants had negotiating skills of @TreatyStones in a step ladder shop.

And now we’re back better than ever. He sped up the recovery process by sparking the downfall. Ingenious thinking when you think about it.

1 Like

:thinking:

5 Likes

It’s a bad day for @TheUlteriorMotive. He should stick to the relationship advice.