Windows 7 thread

I know there’s a thread about laptops but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Windows 7. Join them up if ya want.

I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks back and was told I’d get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.
Anyone know how I’d go about doing this?
If I do it will I have to ‘delete’ windows vista or does it just do this automatically?
If I install Windows 7 will I have to download all the programmes I’ve downloaded in last few weeks like itunes, sopcast, bittorrent etc or do they just transfer over?
How exactly will windows 7 improve things?

[quote=“gola”]I know there’s a thread about laptops but I just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Windows 7. Join them up if ya want.

I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks back and was told I’d get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out.
Anyone know how I’d go about doing this?
If I do it will I have to ‘delete’ windows vista or does it just do this automatically?
If I install Windows 7 will I have to download all the programmes I’ve downloaded in last few weeks like itunes, sopcast, bittorrent etc or do they just transfer over?
How exactly will windows 7 improve things?[/quote]

• I think you have to go to the Microsoft Website to download your upgrade.

• As far as I know it upgrades your existing version of Vista so you don’t need to worry about deleting it afterwards

• You will lose the programs you have installed alright, but should still have access to files, like My Documents, Music etc

• I went from Vista SP 1 to Windows 7 RC about 5 months ago and the difference was massive. My computer went crashing 4 or 5 times a week to only once in the past 5 months. The whole system just seems to run far smoother.

I’ll take this one for you gola:

• yes.
  • no.
  • hmmmm, probably.
  • not sure.

Does anyone here not use Windows?

:thumbsup:

You were always mad about MAC alright

Mac is an alright sort

While Windows 7 is taking over…
http://www.winrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/statscountermay11.jpg

…Windows 8 is on the way…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Class. When would you expect Beta versions to be available for testing?

Engadget are covering it.

No word on a public Beta.

Technology research firm Gartner announced on Tuesday that Windows 7 will become the leading operating system worldwide by the end of 2011.

Gartner believes that 42% of all PCs worldwide will run Windows 7 by the end of the year. The company’s research also indicates that 94% of new PCs will ship with Windows 7 in 2011. Gartner cites improvements in IT budgets for the acceleration in enterprise deployments of Windows 7 as a big factor. Asia/Pacific and U.S. regions have started large volumes of enterprise Windows 7 deployments according to Annette Jump, research director at Gartner. Jump warned that recent economic slowdowns in Japan and civil unrest in the Middle East could slow deployments across those regions.

By the end of 2011, nearly 635 million new PCs worldwide are expected to be shipped with Windows 7. Many enterprises have been planning their deployment of Windows 7 for the last 12 to 18 months, and are now moving rapidly to Windows 7,” Jump said. Gartner’s forecast assumes that Windows 7 is the last “fat” operating system that will be deployed on mass by corporate and enterprise customers. “In the future, many organizations will also use alternative client computing architectures for standard PCs with Windows OS, and move toward virtualization and cloud computing in the next five years,” said Gartner.

Microsoft’s next-generation of Windows, codenamed Windows 8, is believed to include a number of cloud setting features. Roaming options for user account customisations such as desktop wallpaper, application settings and wireless network settings have all been discovered in recently leaked builds of Windows 8. Microsoft is set to unveil its Windows 8 plans at its BUILD conference next month.

I open the windows when I’ve eaten too many olives.
poof!

Yours etc,
GSH.

On about your gas again?

There was a big conference in Anaheim yesterday announcing Windows 8.

http://www.geekwire.com/2011/windows-8-hands-microsofts-big

Check out the new blue screen of death…

Installing Windows 8 on a laptop right now.

How exciting.

What a noob!

Seamless installation.

Up and running.

The Metro UI is nice, not really for enterprise though.
Not sure there was really a need to ditch the start menu?