With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Relax, lads. There’s absolutely no need to own property. Rent in an area that’s convenient / practical for work and is close to required / desired services.

1 Like

Lads wouldn’t be bothered with the likes of runt and his 50 Sq ft extension,if I priced a wee build like that whatever it came to I’d just stick an extra 0 on the end to make it worth my while

1 Like

Wait until you breed mate. Security of tenure then trumps all else. Moving a few miles isn’t much of an option when you might need to move creche or the new move shifts you out of school catchment areas. It shouldn’t be like this but it is. I happily rented for ten years in Dublin but had a very bad experience that spooked the shit out of me tbh

2 Likes

Fair enough*, mate.

*This is a rare TFK example of posters initially having differing views and one taking on board the validity of the other person’s opinion.

2 Likes

You have a rare humanity and maturity for this place.

It’s a big trade off to move from where you are based to buy somewhere which I assume would realistically mean a shift (well) outwards? Walking to work is a simple and valuable treat

Indeed. That’s the benefit unemployed folk have when seeking mortgages - it gives them the freedom to move anywhere really.

1 Like

I live in a rural area and I can assure you it has now just passed the point where buying was cheaper.

So do I. I bought just over 12 months ago for 145 k less than the rebuild value (for insurance purposes). That’s not including the cost of the site. Multiple similar properties within few miles of here

Not saying your wrong at all, might be different where you are but site cost + build cost + ancillary costs there are plenty rural areas where you can still buy sub 250 k

I’m looking at 4 bed houses, built 20 years ago and in need of ‘freshening up’ (new kitchen, boiler, insulation upgrade, sewage upgrades, etc.) For €270k. I’d be confident of building an energy efficient house to my own spec for that.

You must be tempted to burn it down?

If I thought they would pay out on it I would certainly consider it. Unfortunately they will only force me to rebuild

Including cost of buying site, architects, planning fees and contributions

Are you a builder yourself? If you can get it done for that price fair play. It would be astonishing value

As an aside is there such a thing as an auctioneer who isn’t a slimey cunt?

1 Like

I’d be doing a chunk of it myself. And the rest via direct labour.

A 50sqft extension onto my toadstool

2 Likes

I’d agree with this as the end value v the end cost on the job I’m looking at is only just about stacking up for me at the moment and that will be based on a getting a fairly “flexbile” valuer to value it.

Are you remortgaging for the build @TreatyStones or getting a loan

Remortgaging. It’s a big job.

All the good looking ones have been snapped up.

1 Like

The lad who’s doing our job now wants to be done by the end of the week so he can do an extension worth 500k on a house in Dundrum that will go on for 10 months. Some couple of their mid 30’s who are due to retire in the next couple of years. He made a fortune trading in London before moving over. Why he picked to live in Dundrum I’ll never know but that’s another story.

The amount of vans on the road from Wexford to Dublin in the mornings is huge now. Its not quite back to mid 00’s levels but if lads can travel an hour up the road and charge double what someone would pay them down here then they’d be silly not to.