With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

:rofl::rofl: its more of a ball hop to get a reaction. Its a good scheme no less. I assume you’ve never been back there. Saying that the Corner House is a lovely pub

1 Like

I have passed through pallaskenry but know fck all about it

Reading the detail of thay scheme it looks like a very fair aoproach

You must be able to get a mortgage for your share so they are essentially using the bank as the watchdog here to make sure people of relative good standing can avail of the scheme…

The scheme is a very good start for where we are at. More of that is needed so I hope its a success. More supply at affordable levels is the only way out of this mess. It will benefit someone thankfully. In fairness pallas is grand if you want a small town but also a rural area. Iirc isn’t there a big park and biodiversity area being put in bear the village? @TreatyStones might know?

1 Like

Supposedly ya, in that swampy area behind the soccer and GAA pitches.

There’s been a heap of houses built there in recent years.

2 Likes

Ireland takes every iota of financial good fortune and throws it into house prices. It’s a fcuking stupid system really

2 Likes

Timber and copper have increased significantly in 2021. House build cost is going up

Removing the CGT exemption on the sale of PPR is an interesting suggestion. Hard to justify why it is exempted and has fueled this idea of “a property ladder”
and a house being a wealth generation tool rather than a home

Would raise 2.4bn

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0520/1222952-esri-tax/

1 Like

They should bring back the window tax as well.

1 Like

As long as they don’t bring in an island tax

10 Likes

There’s a blindspot in Ireland around any wealth tax relating to a family asset (home, farm etc). We think it’s outrageous that personal wealth like that should be considered for tax. Ironically its the left wing parties who are almost more vocal in this.

1 Like

0.57 acre site without planning but sold subject to planning has just gone on the market in Boleybeg outside Galway city for 200k. It’s absolutely mental. That’s Celtic tiger price and more. 300k for half an acre just down further towards barna.
Site in Boleybeg was 60k two years ago.

1 Like

This is bonkers money.

1 Like

It’s the left in in Ireland that are against taxing wealth. Right.

It’s insane. There’s lots of nicer parts of Connemara than roundstone, and that place will be an ould damp spot by the looks.
This can’t really end well.
All these crazy prices do is line the pockets of the baby boomers, the already wealthy, and put people in hock for thirty years for somewhere to sleep. Hard to know what the answer is. Certainly all rental and air BnB income should be taxed at the top rate irrespective of who owns it.

1 Like

Is it?

1 Like

They are already floating taxing pension lump sums. As we saw during crash private pensions are a sitting duck for tax.

It’s the usual neo-liberal spin on it.

As far as I know LPT is generally a % of the market value of a house.

I’d imagine a lot of hoofering goes on here goes on with the market price and I think it’s also in someway self assessed so there’s the ability for people to under declare the value of their home.

I think LPT should hit people hard where they own multiple properties - something like the LPT rate should be doubled and doubled for every additional residential property owned. They should also clamp down on gifting properties to children/siblings (outside of inheritance) as a means of tax avoidance - the tax free thresholds should be almost nil for these incidences.

The gov are well aware of these loopholes but as many of them come from financially well heeled families with multiple properties and millions in the bank they don’t really want to tax the wealthy.

LPT is really another tax that hits the less well off hard and doesn’t really impact the elite. That’s a common trend with FFG taxation systems.

Fianna Fáil voted with Fine Gael, Sinn Féin, People Before Profit and most Independents for the full 15 per cent cut.

“The tax averse left”. You’d have to laugh.

The Irish Times is averse to taxing the wealthy so that’s typical of the FFG spin that attacks other parties suggestions to ease the burden on the less well off and move to the more well off.

The biggest thing government can do is to tax landlords out of it, to have it such a way that holding properties to make profit via renting or holding for capital appreciation is not worth the hassle. Instead government have done everything in their power to make landlords the most secure means of profiteering in the state. If you have the capital then you can double your millions through property. That is by design and has been instrumental in leading to the current housing crisis.