With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

Subway ridership is recovering quickly in New York.

Return to office mandates have slowed because companies don’t have the space.

They’ll have that space in a couple of years once they get the right price on new lettings.

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
And that’s who’s to blame. You heard it here first.

1 Like

Trying to get short term accommodation for overseas workers is a nightmare

Yep. In Anglosphere countries we live in places where property development takes years and is expensive. Some of the reasons for this are right and proper, some are bullshit.

If you are there in 2018 demanding that co- living was banned and trying to stop all the developments in the pipeline, it was incumbent on you to articulate how you would deliver rental inventory in the same period,

That goes beyond glib nonsense on the State building it. It doesn’t matter who builds in this part of the world, it is expensive and takes time. Those who threw grenades in shovel ready developments bear responsibility.

Essentially what happened with co-living and BTR was that the market responded to the regulations and demands of the period but was the told at the last minute that this is not what “the people” wanted.

People reaching out for a housing utopia could do so when the costs returned to some semblance of normality, not before.

And this is why the co-living that was built is in high demand.

The one in Dún Laoghaire has 93% occupancy.

It fits a very specific need for many people.

My favourite excuse is the “I don’t mind it but it’s just too expensive!”. Have these people seen what it costs to rent a double room for things that actually come on the market?

1 Like

a bedsit used to be £25 per week in dun laoghaire or rathmines (@Fagan_ODowd and @balbec probably remember cheaper). a co living is around 1900 per month

Bedsits were banned by the lovies too. Well intentioned regulations with negative long term consequences.

The co living in DL actually works out as €1,569 per month as it is 10 months for the price of 12.

With that you get a gym on site, utilities, wifi and a cleaning service.

Up in Honey Park you’ll get this double room for €1,200 plus another €100 in utilities. When you lob in the gym benefit and cleaning it’s probably €1,400 on a like for like basis. Honey Park is a significantly worse location and won’t have the new kit that the co-living place will.

https://www.rent.ie/rooms-to-rent/Honey-Park-Dun-Laoghaire-Dun-Laoghaire-Co-Dublin/5455763/

Practically everything that hits the “market” is expensive and won’t get cheaper until you get the supply in. That supply is improving but would be a whole lot better now if well intentioned morons hadn’t stuck their oar in.

Would be a whole lot better if we hadn’t had a decade of FG housing ministers blithely steering us towards the current crisis, you mean.

I see the Soc Dems have dropped the dream of a State development and construction company.

1 Like

Tim would have everyone else in shared accommodation and bedsits.
There’s more than a touch of trevallion about him.

1 Like

People are already cramped into houseshares all over Ireland. They are mostly in far smaller rooms away from where they want to be.

I think the communication around co living was poor. Youve done a better job yourself, was it highlighted to target the short term 6 month lease market?

Your response to rack renting by landlords is to make the accomodation shittier. For other people.

Nope- a double en-suite room that is 20% bigger than a house share is not “shittier”.

The comfortable middle classes are really quite delusional and disingenuous.

1 Like

I don’t think arguments got off the ground for it. A few people went ape on Twitter and things rolled from there.

Fair enough, id admit im not as informed as you but you’re right about morons on twitter, they are givem too much weight on what is public opinion while they arent imformed themselves

I lived in a co.living complex in Koln

I loved it

1 Like

Deviant

3 Likes

As someone who works from home 90% of the time I would say I see lots of personal benefit v little societal benefit and huge issues coming on people’s ability to engage and communicate

5 Likes

The societal is around parents being around their kids more Id say and even things like being more available to coach teams etc. Especially in the greater dublin area people are just ‘home’ earlier. It seems huge to me

4 Likes