With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

I think they’re a lot softer than a year ago anyway. I was talking to a friend who runs a business managing rental properties over the weekend and she said it was taking a lot longer to rent places and prices were coming down. Who knows.

Still going up … house up the road from us came up for rent and the landlord said he was overwhelmed with inquiries …

There’s 2 bed houses going for 1500 euro a month - 1800 + for a 3 bed … and that’s just Cork.

Grand, it’s an open market - that’s capitalism etc. etc … but the greed of landlords is disgusting - just because they can squeeze another few bob out of people doesnt mean they should. But they will because we’ve created a landlord state - all political elites and money men own scores of properties out for rent - they’re lapping it up while killing the next generation.

People can dress it up anyway they want but it’s pure unadulterated greed - they’re making money from a lot of suffering and that’s the truth of it.

4 Likes

In the capital I presume?

Yeah

Tax the fuckers at 70%

4 Likes

Hopefully it ripples out to the rest of the country but obviously, Dublin has the size - all the muldoons probably gone home now that they can work remotely

It would never happen - but wouldnt you love to see it — It would warm my heart to see a lot of these fuckers somehow lose their shirts

1 Like

Is that poor mouth talk ?? Didn’t amazon announce 1k jobs this week . Granted they will take a while to manifest but the fundamentals are positive ??

I think hotels in Dublin are taking a bitter hit than in the sticks .

I am still hearing house prices are holding solid in more desirable areas .

Mate has his house on the market with 18 months for what I felt was a ludicrous price. Not a sniff in that time. First week the lockdown eased he had 3 viewings and the place went sale agreed yday at 95% of asking… I thought he’d be stuck with it for an age

Where ???

I’ve a placed rented. I could get more for it but you pay tax on it at 53 per cent so not worth it once you have a decent tenant.

When they move on I think I’ll sell up. It’s a pain in the arse to manage. Having an asset you can rent in retirement is appealing as it is inflation proof income but it’s a fair hassle.

3 Likes

Rural North Cork

1 Like

Yeah a lad about a mile from me put up a big 5 bed dormer on a 1/4 acre about 3 mths ago for 450k, I thought he was mad but it was sold within 6/7 weeks.

Mad. Talking to a fella the other day both him and gf were working and living in Dublin. Both WFH for another 12 months probably so gave up the apt in Dublin and moved home to the mammys… He said they are probably 3k a month better off from not living in Dublin between rent bills etc. Not to mention no chance of spending money in the last while… Reckons they can save 50k toward a house by the time they will need to go back to Dublin if ever… Money they would never have gathered

I think it would be great to see muldoons working from home,i doubt anyone whos trying to save for a house wants to go back to Dublin.Theres at least 100k to be saved and a better quality of house to be got in the sticks not to mention it might revive struggling communities in the country. Landlords and office owners in Dublin won’t be happy though.

1 Like

Landlord, landlord, landlord.

Out, out, out.

Yeees, now get your finger and move it slowly under the words until the end of the sentence, or get an adult to read it to you.

No mate, that’s the taxpayer. Now in your little middle class ford Mondeoville you probably don’t meet many such people, but, believe it or not, there are many taxpayers who don’t own a house.

They probably are a bit. There was an initial drop but I recall reading rental prices went up again marginally in Dublin after that. They should moderate for the next while you’d think with people working from home able to stay away from Dublin. Two friends of mine had to move out of their apartment about nine months ago, they were a couple looking for a one bed apartment in the city centre, they spent months looking and couldn’t find anything relatively near the city for under 2k. That’s crazy for a one bed apartment.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it quoted that Ireland had/has a very high percentage of earned income being spent on accommodation?