With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

The mortgage myself and the mrs would have to pay is considerably less then renting and you have an asset to your name at the end of the day…

@balbec will tell you what the ballsy lads would do

You can get a reasonable house in Limerick City for 130k (in a decent suburb), which would have a moderate mortgage - and the goal of living out in the county could be achieved a few years down the road if the economy actually does improve.

Its all about getting on the ladder

there’s never been a better time to buy

I think I will step onto the ladder in 2015

The mrs went into the bank the other day and they agreed in principal to give us the mortgage, sick of this renting shite absolutely no rights whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nn6E3fmY50

Sites can still be got for decent value. That’s the route I will be heading down, that or buying an old house in need of work on a decent site with the view to rebuild or restore.

That is true, but with our budget at the moment I’m thinking a 3 bed semi would do as step on the ladder as @Mac put it. The dream is the detached house out the country near a good GAA club. Hopefully 5/6 years time with the first house as leverage.

If that is the dream, do it now kid. Sites will go up to mental money levels soon. An old Cottage on an acre site should be bought for €50k or less. Put another €100k into the house/site and you will have a decent starting point which can be improved further in time.

Is this 2005? I’m going to but a house in Devlin, Westmeath with nothing there, commute 2.5 hrs each way a day but then when the house prices rise and Om earning loads more money, ill sell mine and buy a house nearer Dublin like Tallaght…

Go the whole hog and buy the site now and build the house as you go.

The dream of upgrading and moving to the country in 5/6 years will be alot harder than it sounds with kids in tow.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1041796, member: 686”]Go the whole hog and buy the site now and build the house as you go.

The dream of upgrading and moving to the country in 5/6 years will be alot harder than it sounds with kids in tow.[/QUOTE]

Yourself and Harry are making valid points, Living outside the city 20/30 mins commute is definitely the way to go.

Kinnegad - the gateway to the East

How long would it take to build a house from scratch, and what would the costs be - moderate bungalow for e.g…

Buy somewhere you really like and can deal with being there for life (if that happens and you dont get the site!
). Don’t buy with the thought Im going to move…life changes so much, kids come along etc. stepping stone or ladder can end up permanent and you want to make sure you are somewhere, not the dream, but which you are really happy.

Planning is the catch… easier in some counties than others.

The other catch is that in certain areas its actually its actually alot cheaper to buy than build.

Bit too far, pal, no? 10 minutes max.

I haven’t a notion.

All I’d say is if you know what you want to end up doing then just do that now. Don’t bother buying something to hold for a few years as circumstances will change.