With rent increasing is now the time to buy a 2nd property from the bank

I’d only be looking at a small yoke. Looking to buy and I expect I’ll be wanting to extend the kitchen in whatever I’d be looking at. Partially to create more space but also to get more light in.

@glasagusban this is about as good as you well get given then details. You should see if you require planning permission or not. To the rear and less than 25m2 would be ok to just plough on without notifying authorities. There are others on here who can advise better on planning regulations though. but the scope of works, the intrusion to the existing house, design and scale of new kitchen have a lot of fluctuation with regards to a final cost.

1 Like

Give it plenty of thought. The last thing you want in a few years down the line when you and your partner adopt a child is to be wishing you had built on more. On the flip side if you are keeping it under 40sqm and meet the conditions set out by the council you’d be exempt from having to get planning permission, which always helps.

10 Likes

:joy:

Sure if there isn’t enough space I can just adopt it away to the child pound again.

Housing market in Dublin 4 and 6 has gone mental. I’m aware of one property in the area that is currently at 44% above the initial asking price.

1 Like

Has the boom got boomier ?

2 bed detached bungalow in Rochestown, Cork - €465,000… ridiculous.

Have you placed your deposit?

That’ll be the wedding gift no doubt

I’m tearing it apart and digging up the garden next week.

Ye should go on Room to Improve

44% uplift from asking price in Dublin 4

The world is gone mad.

Ahead of the curve there so you are.

1 Like

I got lucky pal.

Married a shrewd woman.

Christ.

Once your not in negative equity in a squat apartment…buying a house is a good investment…you dont lose your deposit even if you want to upgrade.

Did you buy in the end?

The house we bought another has gone up for sale for 15k more than we paid for ours. Beginning to think we got a good deal on ours.

2 Likes

Thats good to hear pal…none have gone for sale around me for the last while…I’m mad to see what a neighbour could make on the property register.

Where we are moving too a house went for 5k less than we got ours a few weeks before. So we had no wiggle room on the price. Was delighted we had gone sale agreed before that other house went up for sale.