Woeful Journalism

Irish Twitter is a nawful place

1 Like

Una Mullally has a bizarre piece of hero worship on Holly Cairns. My favourite bit is this nonsense…

In media appearances with other politicians, you can tell she’s listening to the content of what they’re saying, and responding to their points authentically, rather than from a rote script. Cairns’ communication is devoid of civil-servant-speak, spin, and jargon, and yet she’s also fastidious. She does not lean on rhetoric alone. She frequently embodies the audience in these exchanges, appearing authentically incredulous about hypocrisies, tearing up Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil’s record on housing, neoliberalism and the crash but still coming across like – how novel – a real person. An underrated quality of Cairns, which I’m sure we’ll see much more of, is how quick on her feet she is, making her very quotable.

You consider that news?

I spotted that this morning and I thought to myself this piece will have the misogynists on TFK hopping.

Did you read the piece or spot it?

I thought it was a nice piece on Holly Cairns but no surprise it got under the skin of the forums redoubtable Labour hack.

4 Likes

Holly Cairns is riding a wave of popularity. We’ll see how she does in the medium term. Ive watched her closely in the dail on one particular area she was supposedly big on and she was a sham. She hadnt a clue about the objections she had lodged herself against a bill. She also didn’t understand what the bill entailed as she started looking for something that was in the bill already. . It was very poor.

2 Likes

You’re a bit light on specifics there mate.

Sure you didnt even answer whether you’d read the article or not. I can do the details if you’d like.

This was a right good response by Cairns last week.

2 Likes

It’s an opinion piece, and it’s Una Mullally.

What were you expecting? I don’t think it’s woeful journalism though as it appears well thought out and well expressed.

Fair enough mate, I’ll accept that. I’d have thought a journalist believing she can tell when someone is really listening and projecting further on it would be a load of shite but each to their own.

Holly Cairns 1 Ivana Bacik 0.

Social Democrats will drop back to their normal % in next opinion poll

Political journalists, your Pat Leahys your Fionnan Sheehan, will refer to the fall and rise as the “Holly hump”

1 Like

I doubt it. A few nice speeches between now and the next election and she could well have them up at 10%. People are dying for a good option to come along and will give everyone a shot. Theyd want to have councillors working their holes off for the next 2 years to build up some sort of profile to get elected as tds. She’ll get a handy ride off the media anyway. I suppose any leaders debates would be important for her.

Oh it is completely. However it’s an opinion piece so par for the course.

That’s typical of the kind of despicable misogynistic language that will no doubt be directed at Deputy Cairns. Holly has the troglodytes rattled.

Imagine a columnist with a solumn in the Opinion section of a newspaper expressing an opinion. A woman too. It’s easy see how @Juhniallio was triggered.

She’s isn’t going out with her fellow constituency TD any more so it is interesting to see how that dynamic plays out in an election