Woeful Journalism

Never!

1 Like

Fuck off you Cark cunt😃

1 Like

It was a branded product mate. he was a true believer.

1 Like

@braz83, what’s the “English language” term for someone who uses would in the past tense.

For example, I prefer:

“He expected a hard game but he scored 3 goals.”

Some journalists use:
“He expected a hard game but he would score 3 goals.”

Kieran Shannon writes whole books and columns in the latter style and it bugs me. Today’s effort is the same:

For example:
“I felt a responsibility to the city that we were not going to get relegated,” he’d tell the journalist Graham Hunter in a podcast.

HE TOLD THE JOURNALIST IN A PODCAST.

1 Like

A wouldener.

I’m happy to take this if Braz doesn’t get to it.

A cunt?

5 Likes

I have nothing but a shit joke so work away. The construct only makes sense for me in the context of somebody doing something repeatedly. E.g. he would tell a story about

That would be one use.

In those examples though it’s just the past tense of “will” so it’s referencing a point of time in the past when something was going to happen in the future from then but before now.

At a point in time in the past Le Tissier was very loyal and he’d go on to say x on a podcast. It’s a shitty and unnecessary way of highlighting that the podcast Le Tissier did was before now but not when his club were in relegation trouble.

e.g. I knew Braz would make a smart comment.

2 Likes

Thanks @Rocko.

The entire Kieran Donaghy autobiography is written like that.

Training was terrible but they would go on to win comfortably on the day. He was left out of the starting team but he would end up making a critical contribution from the bench. Etc etc.

I think it’s clunky and I don’t find that style enjoyable to read. In fact I nearly stopped reading today’s column but I WOULD go on to finish it.

3 Likes

Why are you implicating Lifestyle sports in the murder now eh??

1 Like

All the examples you gave there were however type scenarios and it seems that style is commonly used. Possibly makes the story sound more interesting because in the end things didn’t turn out the way you might have expected them to but there was always a certain air of inevitability to it. A twist in the plot, that you always knew was coming, if you may.

I did think about it for a little while but I would go on to surmise that it was something that I shouldn’t get too worked up about.

1 Like

Is this Ken Foy lad trying to get a gig at the Mail? Jesus Christ, that is as bad as anything on this thread. The best bit is this:
“The footballer’s close associate is suspected of making a phone call that led to Mr Staunton cycling in the area,” a source said last night.
No, a source did not say that, you made that up you fucking moron. You can just imagine some low life called Dean or some such from inner Dublin making a statement like that. Priceless.

I fully respect your view as always.

1 Like

Murphy’s been reading too many early Ken Early articles.
Pointless reference to Greek history? Check.
Flowery bollox saying nothing for half the article? Check
A rundown of stats which mean fuckall? Check.

Great work @Murph

1 Like

http://www.independent.ie/style/celebrity/you-just-have-to-be-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time-kathryn-thomas-on-tragic-danielles-death-in-india-35586294.html

God forgive me but I laughed at this.

1 Like

Her full name is Aimee Jude Irwin Ní Eidhin

There’s her problem.

5 Likes

I blame the mother

Writer of the piece was memorably* burned on first series of First Dates Ireland.

*maybe not that memorable.