Woeful Journalism

A colleague of mine claims a mutual acquaintance received a phone call from Irish water yesterday an hour after filling her kids paddling pool… I have no reason to doubt her either

He was a knob ever before he played golf with Donald Trump

3 Likes

More dung from the Indo

Amy Molloy
Amy Molloy

July 17 2018 2:30 AM

Switching careers from law to journalism was the best life decision I ever made – but one I sincerely regret when it comes to paying my car insurance.

Apparently reporters are a bigger liability behind the wheel than legal executives.

Despite never using my car for work, having a 10-year no-claims bonus and not a penalty point to my name, my insurance jumped by almost €600.

I drive a 141 Mazda 3 – a very reliable car – and the cheapest quote I could get was €1,700 with Aviva. Discussing the drastic rise with a broker over the phone, I was informed that my change of profession was the main reason.

Shopping around is proving a rude awakening as the next cheapest option is €2,095 with Axa.

They quoted me €2,126 if I use the car to commute, so the fact my vehicle is left at home Monday to Friday only makes €30 of a difference.

Hardly logical, but then nothing about rising premiums is. I’ve had the same car for four years, have lived in Dublin 9 throughout that time and yet each year the cost has gone up.

I’ve only driven 42,483km since 2014 and the majority of those were clocked up visiting the folks in Co Wexford.

My little Mazda spends more time off the road than on it thanks to everything in Dublin being accessible by foot or public transport.

Sometimes I strongly consider selling it, but people in rural Ireland judge grown adults without a car, so I can’t be doing that.

It feels as though motorists are being constantly punished nowadays.

Insurers tell us the legal profession and excessive compensation payouts are to blame, while solicitors and barristers pass the buck back.

Meanwhile, we’re being slapped with a 2pc levy to cover the costs of the collapse of Setanta Insurance.

Whether it’s a career change, moving back from Australia or a company going under, there is always some excuse being used to justify our premiums going up.

And while my change has been costly, at least I can write an article complaining about it.

1 Like

Light, but hardly dung. We’re being f*cking fleeced here. My insurance is up in September, and I dread to think what the “new” price will be…

1 Like

All she had to do was change her profession to ‘Computer Operator’.

If she’s out on the road for work then the Indo should be paying for insurance.

we are being fleeced, it’s still a shit article.

we are paying 7pc in levies at the moment which is a joke, we need to implement something like no-fault insurance in order to do away with the vast amount of pi claims.

1 Like

Thanks to Saint quinn.
I wonder whatever happened to the missing 400 million euro shopping centre in Ukraine?

Setanta as well

Something off here. 10 years no claims and €1700 is the cheapest she can get?

1 Like

It goes up massively if you say you’re a journalist as they figure you’ll be driving around reporting on things.

Most people put in computer operator as they work from an office.

Spelling operator correctly would surely make them suspicious

1 Like

she’s full of shit i reckon…

never mentions which company, there’s no way it could be that much even if youre a journalist…

banged her details into quote machine…

I’d say @Bandage is getting his insurance for less FFS

2 Likes

Still a fair whack.

I’m paying €1100 :pensive:

fully comp…class 1

One of the many hidden costs of living in good old Oireland these days.
Between car insurance, health insurance, childcare and renting/mortgage rates you’d want a very good salary to be surviving in and around Dublin these days.
A government could easily tackle all four relatively simply and quickly and without reducing tax intake put a lot more money into peoples pockets.

1 Like

Exactly and you are only a pup. No way shes getting quoted those prices with 10 years no claims

2 years no claims