World Cup 2010 - Group runner up race

As it stands at the moment, here are the countries currently in the mix…

Group 1:

1 Denmark 5 4 1 0 12 2 10 13
2 Hungary 6 4 1 1 8 2 6 13
3 Portugal 5 1 3 1 6 3 3 6
4 Sweden 4 1 3 0 2 1 1 6

We can go all the way down to 4th on this one. 3 way battle between the Hungarians who have the games played but points in the bag and the top 2 seeds in the group Portugal and Sweden.

Group 2:

1 Greece 6 4 1 1 12 4 8 13
2 Switzerland 6 4 1 1 11 6 5 13
3 Latvia 6 3 1 2 10 6 4 10
4 Israel 6 2 3 1 10 8 2 9

Another wide open group. The Greeks should sneak the top spot with you’d have to say Switzerland favs for the play-offs. Israel dark horses.

Group 3:

1 Northern Ireland 7 4 1 2 12 6 6 13
2 Slovakia 5 4 0 1 10 6 4 12
3 Poland 6 3 1 2 18 7 11 10
4 Czech Republic 6 2 2 2 6 4 2 8
5 Slovenia 6 2 2 2 5 4 1 8

Just discounting Malta in this group, Norn Iron have the games played but anyone can take points from anyone here. The Czechs are my favs for the playoff spot with Poland topping the group. Norn Iron are shat away from home.

Group 4.

1 Germany 6 5 1 0 18 4 14 16
2 Russia 5 4 0 1 9 3 6 12

Russia for the playoff spot, le fin. Waste of a group

Group 5.

1 Spain 6 6 0 0 13 2 11 18
2 Bosnia-Herzegovina 6 4 0 2 18 7 11 12
3 Turkey 6 2 2 2 6 5 1 8

Bosnia are the surprise package of this group. In the driving seat for a playoff spot, I’ve included Turkey because of their experience in qualifying.

Group 6.

1 England 5 5 0 0 16 4 12 15
2 Croatia 5 3 1 1 10 4 6 10
3 Ukraine 4 2 1 1 5 3 2 7

England running away with this group. Between the Croats and the Ukrainians. I don’t know, Croatia…

Group 7.

1 Serbia 5 4 0 1 12 5 7 12
2 France 5 3 1 1 7 6 1 10
3 Lithuania 6 3 0 3 6 5 1 9

Interesting group. Can the Lithuanians keep up with the top two. 3 wins and 3 losses tells me no. I’m going for Serbia for the playoffs

Group 8.

1 Italy 6 4 2 0 9 3 6 14
2 Rep of Ireland 6 3 3 0 7 4 3 12
3 Bulgaria 5 1 4 0 5 3 2 7

Hopes spring eternal for us Irish after last night. Italy will eek out the group win so we just have to put in a good performance and get a result over in Sofia and we’ll be laughing.

Group 9.

1 Holland 5 5 0 0 12 1 11 15
2 Scotland 5 2 1 2 4 6 -2 7

The ruling for the playoffs is that 8 best runners up play off for 4 spots to go along with the 9 group winners. This is the group that will fail to give a playoff contender. Piss poor with the Dutch (no fault of theirs) running away with it.

I want Scotland, Portugal or France would not be good.

Bring on the Norn Irons as well.

Coonts.

Scotland me hoop. Norway are bottom but have more chance of finishing higher. Mickey Mouse group

what would we be like in a 2 legged knock out tie, id say it wouldnt suit us at all

[quote=“myboyblue”]I want Scotland, Portugal or France would not be good.

Bring on the Norn Irons as well.

Coonts.[/quote]

I’d say the french will take the serbs for top spot so they could be an option.

Portugal would be a disaster

France will do well, they’re a fooking shambles. Domenech still in charge, calling up Dutch fellas, are you taking the piss?!

All depends on the draw. We’ve been in a few…

v Belgium for WC 1998. 1-1 at home, lost away? Can’t remember. Didn’t qualify at any rate
v Turkey for EC 2000. 1-1 at home, 0-0 away - Fail
v Iran for WC 2002. 2-0 at home, lost 1-0 away, got through

Then there was the game v the Dutch for Euro 96 in Anfield. Lost 0-2.

Thing is we’ve been drawn at home in all the 2 legged affairs. Draw is crutial.

Maybe:confused:

Nah I just mean is Domenech taking the piss, he’s a fooking idiot.

[quote=“Locke”]All depends on the draw. We’ve been in a few…

v Belgium for WC 1998. 1-1 at home, lost away? Can’t remember. Didn’t qualify at any rate

Thing is we’ve been drawn at home in all the 2 legged affairs. Draw is crutial.[/quote]

Agreed. I think its better to be drawn away first. Gives you a chance to at least get away goals on the board and then you know what you have to do at home. Would still prefer automatic qualification though (pipe dream I know).

[quote=“myboyblue”]Bring on the Norn Irons as well.
Coonts.[/quote]

I know Norn Iron have “away difficulties” but they’re getting it done at home, we we don’t always get done. I think I’d rather have their group than uors, but its not an easy one either and they’re doing well. Draws away will probably be good enough for them.

I would like to see them qualify.

[quote=“Locke”]All depends on the draw. We’ve been in a few…

Thing is we’ve been drawn at home in all the 2 legged affairs. Draw is crutial.[/quote]

We played pretty well away that night in Belgium. David Connolly came on and got sent off. I think all we needed was an away goal to go through that night but could be wrong.

Turkey away was the Cascarino fight at the end. Roy Keane was injured much of that qualifying campaign and it cost us. Lee Carsley give away an idiotic penalty late on at home in the first leg.

We were dire away in Iran. Lucky to escape really.

Anfield, we were completely outclassed. The Dutch were rubbish in the subsequent championships under Hiddink I think.

We do not want - Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Israel, Poland, Russia, Croatia, France, Serbia. And playing away first could be crucial.

was at the game in Belgium, nearly sure Houghton scored

maybe pukepedia can confirm?

I remember the Turkey away game. It was outrageous. The behaviour of the Turkish fans and players should have seen Turkey forfeiting the fixture. I feel angry all over again.

Didnt we lose 2-1 in Belgium. Hougton scored and David Connolly got sent off?

[quote=“north county corncrake”]was at the game in Belgium, nearly sure Houghton scored

maybe pukepedia can confirm?[/quote]

Ya almost certain he did too. We must have lost 2-1 but needed a goal at the end to go through on away goals. I think there was some disgraceful decisions that went against us for their second goal. Pretty sure former Villa legend Luc Nilis scored.

[quote=“north county corncrake”]was at the game in Belgium, nearly sure Houghton scored

maybe pukepedia can confirm?[/quote]

Houghton scored with a savage header. Connolly got sent off. 0-0 from the first leg, Houghton levelled to have us going through on away goals. They scored a goal through Nilis to win it 2-1. I recall Olivieria crossing it from a dodgy line call.

The late equaliser against Macedonia in 1999 was the killer to deny us automatic qualification.

EDIT - got that wrong actually. It was 1-1 from the first leg. Irwin with a free kick and Nilis equalising. Houghton’s goal was going to take us to extra time.

pukey will confirm but was it d’oliveria?? who scored as he always did against given?

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Houghton scored with a savage header. Connolly got sent off. 0-0 from the first leg, Houghton levelled to have us going through on away goals. They scored a goal through Nilis to win it 2-1. I recall Olivieria crossing it from a dodgy line call.

The late equaliser against Macedonia in 1999 was the killer to deny us automatic qualification.

EDIT - got that wrong actually. It was 1-1 from the first leg. Irwin with a free kick and Nilis equalising. Houghton’s goal was going to take us to extra time.[/quote]

Wiki have it that it finished 3-2 on aggregate. 1-1 from the first leg, did Irwin not score a free kick?

Oliveria scored the first goal. Chipped it over Given who came running out to meet him.

He was a decent player - played in Italy for a while at that time. Fond of diving though.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Oliveria scored the first goal. Chipped it over Given who came running out to meet him.

He was a decent player - played in Italy for a while at that time. Fond of diving though.[/quote]

I wonder what was the Irish team that night in Belgium?

Given, Kenna, Cunningham, Babb, Irwin, Houghton, Townsend, Keane, McAteer, Staunton, Cascarino maybe?