World Cup 2010 - Group runner up race

I was fairly sure Irwin got a free kick to put us 1 nil up in the first leg before Nillis equalised.

In the second leg it was either 0-0 or 1-0 to Belgium when Houghton scored. I remember George Hamilton going on about goals in Stuttgart, Giants Stadium and now Belgium. There was probably about 20-25 mins left when he scored but we couldnt hold on. There may have been a penalty in that game as well but I could be confusing that with the Turkey game also.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Oliveria scored the first goal. Chipped it over Given who came running out to meet him.

He was a decent player - played in Italy for a while at that time. Fond of diving though.[/quote]

Did he play for Torino?

corncrakeepedia might be able to help us on that one

[quote=“Fran”]Did he play for Torino?

corncrakeepedia might be able to help us on that one[/quote]

Torino to Fiorentina I think.

I remember Nilis was big man on campus those days. The next best thing. I was absolutely shitting it everytime he touched the ball in those games due to the hype he recieved.

I think he broke his leg after a move to a big club and that was the end of him really.

[quote=“Fran”]I remember Nilis was big man on campus those days. The next best thing. I was absolutely shitting it everytime he touched the ball in those games due to the hype he recieved.

I think he broke his leg after a move to a big club and that was the end of him really.[/quote]

Not sure if it was a big club he broke his leg at Fran. Some mediocre team if I recall correctly.

Nillis fooked his leg up playing for Villa if I recall correctly. Finsihed him.

Belgium haven’t been blessed with a multitute of talent over the years. Nilis was decent, Oliveira as well and Scifo back in the day.

They also had another guy who was decent - played in Germany and then moved to Bordeaux or someone like that. Rockepedia may be able to help here. Mark something I think.

I stand corrected. A mediocre club indeed

Point proven :rolleyes:

Edit - think he clashed with Richard Wright in a Villa Ipswich/Everton game cos I remember photos going around of his shin wrapped around Richard Wrights boot. Think they had to rebuild his leg after it. Looked disturbing anyway.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Belgium haven’t been blessed with a multitute of talent over the years. Nilis was decent, Oliveira as well and Scifo back in the day.

They also had another guy who was decent - played in Germany and then moved to Bordeaux or someone like that. Rockepedia may be able to help here. Mark something I think.[/quote]

Jan Ceulemans was good also but he never played outside Belgium

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Belgium haven’t been blessed with a multitute of talent over the years. Nilis was decent, Oliveira as well and Scifo back in the day.

They also had another guy who was decent - played in Germany and then moved to Bordeaux or someone like that. Rockepedia may be able to help here. Mark something I think.[/quote]

Jean Marc Bosman, the most famous shite Belgian! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ceulemans was just before my time. He was coming towards the end of his career around Italia 90 but was meant to be a decent player.

They reached the semis in Mexico 86 and lost to a wonder goal from Maradona. They can’t have been bad.

I remember there was a picture of nilis breaking his leg for villa in a collision, it was literally bent around the tackler in a semi circle…Sickening looking…

What is the story with the play off, do the top second placed team play the 8th qualifier or is it an open draw

Ceulemans was class in Mexico 86. Belgium got to the semi’s, met the Argies and Maradona scored that other goal. They had a great keeper also around then, can’t remember his name.

Their first game back after Mexico was Ireland in the Heysel. 2-2 draw. Chippy and Frank if I’m not mistaken.

Marc Wilmots was the guy I was thinking of. Thanks google.

Spurs bought some 17 year old belgian lad about 5 or 6 years ago who was touted as the next big thing(paid a few million for him), dn’t think I have heard of him since…Blundel/Blondal or something similar

Aww!!! I was just resupressing my anger at the Turkish playoff and you go an mention this one. I was going out to a dinner that night and listened to the end of this game in the car as I parked in town. Sooooo frustrating! I’m stressed now.

And while we’re on stressful games, how about that away game in Croatia when they addrd 5 minutes of Injury Time !!! And they scored at the end of it !!!

[quote=“Shadow”]Aww!!! I was just resupressing my anger at the Turkish playoff and you go an mention this one. I was going out to a dinner that night and listened to the end of this game in the car as I parked in town. Sooooo frustrating! I’m stressed now.

And while we’re on stressful games, how about that away game in Croatia when they addrd 5 minutes of Injury Time !!! And they scored at the end of it !!![/quote]

Something that is often looked over is how good Kenny Cunningham was during that campaign and as a defender for Ireland. He held our whole defence together after McGrath departed and before the (proper) arrival of Dunne.

A true Irish legend.

True for ya, Kenny rarely if ever let Ireland down.

Shocking haircut now though.

[quote=“myboyblue”]True for ya, Kenny rarely if ever let Ireland down.

Shocking haircut now though.[/quote]

Just to say that he never let us down is doing him a bit of a disservice though MBB.

He held our defence together more or less by himself.