You'd want your head examined or have daughters like Hopper McGrath, to manage a Ladies team thread

27/06/2011 - 09:05:48
GAA administrators in Tyrone have ordered an inquiry after a referee and a senior county official were knocked unconscious when violence flared at the end of a women’s football final.

Simon Brady, 43, was attacked by a spectator as he checked his score card after St Macartan’s of Augher defeated Carrickmore by scoring a winning point in the final stages of the match in Beragh.

Tyrone ladies football chairman Martin Conway was also stretchered off the pitch after he was hit when he tried to intervene on Friday night.

Father-of-two Mr Brady was treated at the Erne Hospital, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh for bruising and swelling to his face. He was struck once by a spectator after awarding St Macartan’s a free kick just seconds from the end of the game.

Just after blowing the final whistle he was punched.

He said: “I was checking my score card to make sure everything was in order. I got a tap on the shoulder from one of the managers wanting to shake my hand and that is the last thing I remember.”

Mr Brady told the Irish News: “Apparently I was hit. My understanding is that it was a spectator. I woke up maybe five minutes later. I was frightened. I didn’t know what had happened. All I knew was I was lying on the ground and it was wet and cold.

“I wasn’t even aware Martin Conway had been hit by another individual when he came to help me.”

He added: “It is absolutely shameful that this sort of thing has happened. I give up my time freely to officiate at these games. I am a volunteer in what is a pretty tough job and one that can feel very lonely at times. There’s a lot of shock. I believe it is the most serious incident that has ever happened, at least in Tyrone football.”

The Tyrone Ladies Gaelic Football Association confirmed that an investigation is under way. A statement said: “The county board roundly condemn the perpetrators of the assaults.”

Fuckin hell. Animals.

All I knew was I was lying on the ground and it was wet and cold.

Pissed himself too.

What kind of deranged fool could possibly get enraged by a women’s kickaround? The perpetrator should be sent to an asylum for life.

Anyone watching Kerry v Galway ladies football game here now? Level at 0-4 each with around 10mins left in first half. One of the Kerry players missed an absolute gilt-edged chance for a point straight in front of the goals a few minutes ago.

The Galway forwards aren’t able to win their own ball inside in the full forward line and are getting cleaned out in there. They are very dependant on a few players running from deep and winning a free or something that they will tap over. Not sure if they have scored from play yet.

There are some fair bats playing ladies football.

I heard you were sideways in Pigalle last night, Dunph.

I had this on for a few minutes, but the incessant “Let’s go Galway, let’s go” chant was slowly driving me mad.

“Getting to Croke Park is any girl’s dream” according to Marie Houlihan of Kerry.

Some fantastic skills on display in the first 40 seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1083PwfgT8

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 941364, member: 183”]Some fantastic skills on display in the first 40 seconds here:

[/QUOTE]
:smiley:

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 941364, member: 183”]Some fantastic skills on display in the first 40 seconds here:

[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

As you can see Westmeath have the edge on Galway but there may be a reason for that.

As you can see Westmeath have the edge on Galway but there may be a reason for that.[/QUOTE]
Hes absolutely brilliant now.

[/QUOTE]

:clap:

Johanna Maher :clap:

A ladies sports tournament sponsored by a Supermarket? How was this not raised on here before?

What’s this about pushing her growler?

I see the Tyrone ladies football manager, hit one of the Monaghan ladies players a dig at the weekend :eek:

[MEDIA=facebook]745707955495796[/MEDIA]

[QUOTE=“TreatyStones, post: 998485, member: 1786”]I see the Tyrone ladies football manager, hit one of the Monaghan ladies players a dig at the weekend :eek:

[MEDIA=facebook]745707955495796[/MEDIA][/QUOTE]

The Sunday Independent should send Niamh Horan up to Tyrone for a training session and to profile the manager.

Just turned on the “ladies” final from Croker a few minutes ago.
None of the usual comedy moments yet but I’m sure I won’t have to wait too long.