You'd want your head examined or have daughters like Hopper McGrath, to manage a Ladies team thread

There were clearly issues of one sort or another if 12 players and two selectors walked out.

They’ve had ample opportunity to raise them and haven’t mustered anything of note.

Are you suggesting one poster should treat another poster differently based on their sex?

I’m not touching gender politics on here again pal. @Bandage will have to interrupt his lunch for starters or after starters.

1 Like

I’ve cancelled my social lunch engagement due to approaching inclement weather but I’m shortly popping out on my own to a near by eatery to have a quick bite alone. I’ll be ONLINE as a result for much of the standard 2-hour lunch break .

4 Likes

are you a woman?

I don’t identify as a gender mate.

1 Like

Good to know a mod will be online as we deal with some outlandish admissions on here … @TheUlteriorMotive believes that female posters either cant look after themselves on the INTERNET or that they should be treated differently to their male counterparts…

it really is all coming out now.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

have you played wimins sports?

:grinning:

I played in the annual mixed inter departmental bogball match. It was handy as I don’t identify as a gender I could get around the rule that you had to pick 5 women. I was counted as whatever I decided to be on the day

that must have been a great occasion for you

I thought Sarah Tierney’s statement showed there were serious issues with the management style of Leahy.

Nobody apart from those directly involved know the real truth and those truths are plainly different in interpretation.

The bottom line is that there’s no tenable way Leahy can or should stay in the job regardless of whether there is some sort of de-escalation or rapprochement. He’s lost nine of the 18 players that played in the All-Ireland final less than a year ago, those players won’t play again for him, and those players are more important to Mayo women’s football than he is.

Like, if Stephen Rochford had lost the services of nine of last year’s All-Ireland final team, even after reaching two All-Ireland finals as a manager*, there’s no way he could or should have continued. He didn’t lose the services of any player and got Mayo closer to an All-Ireland title than any manager, yet there were stil a load of know it all blowhards in the county saying he deserved to be sacked.

Leahy hasn’t reached an All-Ireland final and he’s had half his team walk out on him. I’d wager a lot of the same people who aren’t sorry to see the back of Rochford are only gagging for Leahy to stay on. Neanderthal gobshites.

*Anthony Cunningham did, and regardless of the rights or wrongs of what happened in Galway, he knew there was no way he could continue when the players wouldn’t play for him.

ah yeah sure.

It’s always great when sport brings people together regardless of gender, sexuality, race or religious belief.

youre probably right in a lot of that there. the point being is that the way the players went about this has been terrible. using the mental health and the safety allegation were awful. Ide suggest that if they put out a clarifying statement apologizing for this and indicating that they choose their language badly and don’t feel that leahy is a threat to their safety etc, but they wont play for them then there might be a break to the impasse.

but leahy irrespective of his faults isn’t going to resign now that such serious allegations are levelled against him as to do so would seem to some to be a vindication of the players allegations.

long story short, there’s cuntishness and pigheadedness on both sides with one side knowing how to play the media better and the other knowing how to play the mayo people better.

1 Like

but does anyone in Mayo give a fuck?

everyone outside Mayo does, so I’d imagine so, yes

I don’t think anybody involved has handled it very well.

What probably should happen is a de-escalation of language and a clarification of the issues with some sort of restoration of Leahy’s reputation at least on the really controversial points re safety etc., but with Leahy still moving on.

What is likely to happen though is that he will try to carry on, the players won’t play for Mayo again, at least while he is in charge, they won’t do very well without their best players, and it’ll remain an utter shitshow with a load of divisions and infighting even after he has gone.