You'd want your head examined or have daughters like Hopper McGrath, to manage a Ladies team thread

Fantastic result for our girls, beating the Nordies 2-0 in Nordieland.
Next up is Slovakia away on Oct 24th - they were beaten 6-1 by Norway in the other group game.

Does Cora Staunton play for us?

No, I think she retired from football a few years ago and now plays rugby, international rules and gaelic football.
How about them Matildas eh?

Who the fuck is Marta?

Most unsportswomanlike behaviour from them last night. Brazil are 9th in the world rankings in Ladies Football, I was surprised at that. The Matildas are on some run, that Sam Kerr is a fantastic footballer.

The interview with Cora Staunton on OTB was very very good. Cora seems an alright sort.

I’d love to see Cora win another All Ireland

She played Senior Intercounty at the age of 13. That seems wrong on any number of levels. When her mother passed away at the age of 16 she’d already been playing Senior Championship with Mayo for 3 years, not to mention the plethora of other teams she was on. Just seems insane that the governing body thought that was acceptable carryon.

Her mother got to see her play senior for Mayo. Surely that’s a good thing

Well there is that. Cora herself said she became very angry and disillusioned at sport for a long time after, for taking her away from home so much during those years. A good interview, well carried out. Cora seems like a grand individual.

13 was nuts but there seemed to have been a culture back then of playing young girls if they were good enough which they obviously were, I remember Briege Corkery breaking through in both sports at a slightly older age and she was possibly the best player in the country when she was 18. None of the games in any code were quite as physically demanding as they are now and I’d imagine Briege wouldn’t have been far away from the boys minor teams in plenty of counties.

Everything has to be about Cork with this fellow.

7 Likes

TBF to him, you could say that about any Cork fella, but theres a reason I left his post hanging there alright.

Juliette was twice the footballer of them all down there anyways, and none of them were a patch on Sue.

The sister was even better

I don’t know the details but isn’t ladies tennis the same? Girls mature physically earlier than boys.

If your good enough, your old enough.*

• I personally don’t agree with it myself. Got into arguments for not playing younger lads who were better on underage teams.

Nah mate, I don’t know much else about ladies sport though what with me not being a knowitall cunt. I’m sure you can tell me of a rake of dual players that were superior to Briege, in fact you’ve probably bumped into them all in the past couple of weeks.

What’s up your arse?

Nothing at all mate, this is how I roll :confused:

You’re coming across as a bit of a jerk. I thought I’d flag since I generally think you’re sound.

No worries mate, I think you’re tops.
@Fagan_ODowd has a bit of a beef with me which results in regular snide comments like the one which I replied to, easy enough to miss I suppose but I presume he’s be disappointed if I ignored them.