Euro 2016 - Round of Eight

That’s a great post. I was thinking it earlier watching the game that England can never produce the togetherness you saw in that Wales performance. When the likes of Ireland or Wales play in a big tournament there’s a touch of romance about every result they get. Very easy for players and fans alike to buy into.

Because of the way they talk about themselves, England doesn’t have that. Instead they have all that ‘England Expects’ bollocks. Expects what exactly? The record shows that the only thing they should be expecting is more failure.

1 Like

How has it got to the situation where you have the Spaniards, Germans, Italians, French, Dutch and Portuguese exporting managers all over Europe, yet England exports almost nobody and there are only two or three English managers in the Premier League?

Spain shows that you can have a great league with the best players in the world bought in, but that doesn’t have to make the native football culture suffer, it can enhance it.

Four England managers over the last three decades actually have foreign coaching experience - two admittedly after they had the England job - Robson and McClaren - Venables and Hodgson beforehand, Hodgson in fact has the most extensive foreign coaching experience of any England manager ever. He shouldn’t be insular in the way mist English football people are. And yet it seemed to make no difference, either in him or in how his teams played. Neither did two foreign coaches.

Since England played Argentina in 1998, I’m struggling to think of any good performances they’ve put in at major finals, maybe against Denmark and perhaps Argentina in 2002, Croatia 2004 maybe. Since then, nothing. They’re a bit like Dublin football during the fallow years from 1996 to around 2009, a seeming complete inability to learn from mistakes. Dublin eventually learned, I’m not so sure England will.

That’s very insulting to Wales comparing them to Eire. Wales are a serious team with designs on winning this tournament. Wales are not interested in paddywhackery or romance, as long as everybody loves our fans whatever happens on the field is a bonus. Wales have won 4 games within 90 minutes in under a fortnight and are spearheaded by the best player in the tournament. Eire won their 4th ever game inside 90 minutes in this their sixth tournament stretching back to 1988 against an unmotivated Italian reserve side and there’s an outbreak of national hysteria and the tournament is deemed a resounding success.

4 Likes

Rumours that Courtois and Wilmots were physically fighting in the Belgian dressing room after tonight’s match.

Aaron Ramsey’s performance tonight is up there with the greatest i have ever seen on a pitch
i have no more to add really
i was actually in awe watching him

4 Likes

Bedgelert, Aberffraw, Rhosneigr,Bethal, Llangefni, Conwy, Beaumaris. A great day for north Wales! Cymru am Byth

Harsh on Robson Kanu, the three taff goalscorers from tonight are english.

Klopp should keep Joe and pack Lallana off to his spiritual home. spurs.

2 Likes

The Belgians are infected with the same illness as the English. Many of their key players in the EPL of course.

One of the greatest of all time

He’s not Champions League standard pal, Liverpool is about his level.

The Welsh. A great crowd. They’ve a lovely way about them especially the North Walians. Salt of the earth.

The English press are using the Welsh win to kick the tans even more. Unreal.

2 Likes

Coincidentally that was Wales 4th ever win in the European Championships

2 Likes

@GeoffreyBoycott always uses the granny rule to have a dig at Ireland…how many of the Welsh lads were born in England? Then again, Wales is English…Not a country.

Most of the Eire team were born in Britain aswell, then you have a load of leprechauns supporting them who let on to hate England, you couldn’t really make it up if you tried :joy:

also Wales dodnt shit themselves before big games like that time you plopped yourself before the fun run

1 Like

It’s been a bad time for the Spuds man.

It makes the win all the more sweeter.

you really have to laugh at the paddies trying their best to bask in the reflected glory of the Welsh win, doing their best to associate themselves with them, is there a more pathetic shower of simpletons in the world?