The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

… and a very business friendly environment. Even if the tax rate were significantly higher they, or the other MNCs, are not going anywhere. Ireland is a fabulous country to do business in, unlike most of the EU. The govt need to play this one carefully though as the anti-trust group in Brussels are a bunch of Rottweilers.

Lift and shift, six to nine months tops.

1 Like

Don’t know the exact number but Tim Cook just hosted a $50k per head fundraising dinner for her. Silicon Valley contributes about 85% of its donations to the Dem candidate historically, that’s at 99% this cycle. Obviously there’s a fear Trump might actually tackle tax reform. Fundamentally MNCs want things to remain the same i.e. they call the shots.

Stay on topic. Do you know more than the EU? Can you explain how they are wrong and that the 13 bn is actually owed to the US tax payer.

If you want to argue the toss on upward only rent we can do that later but for now this topic is about Apple and the rate of Corp tax they are paying. I merely used the rent issue to bore significant holes in that stat you introduced about mnc tax contribution.

I understand we have to treat these US companies well but where else would Apple for example go if they weren’t treated as well? It seems to me we’d still be the most attractive country in the EU for a US company to do business in

1 Like

Exactly lads. If the Government play this one out nice and safely it could be unreal for us. We need to safeguard them coming after the cash through some mechanism though. Stick with the MNCs, appeal alongside them, shout from the fucking rooftops if we have to, then hope to fuck we lose all “appeals”. Take the cash with a rueful shake of the head and make sure the cunts in the EU don’t get their paws on it. The MNCs will be pissed at the EC but not us. They stay here and continue to do business and pay tax. Nowhere better to go.

It’s an international high grade corporate business reverse double ball hop so to speak.

Paddy has been given an inch and Paddy must take a mile.

1 Like

The Kaiser blew any chance of that happening today by repeatedly stating that the money wasn’t raised in Ireland and doesn’t belong to us.

This will run and run . Will end in EU Court and there is a massive backlog there: Then the fun will start in earnest . Who owns Apple by the way ??? Is it largely institutional investors ???

Has to cosy up to Apple sure to make sure we keep them onside. We all know the money wasn’t generated in Ireland but isn’t the whole crux of the EC’s point that we should be taking more tax off of Apple and others to break up the so called sweetheart deals and therefore not allowing the unfair advantage to occur? Meaning tax must be paid up… and to where? Somewhere different just because we say we don’t want it or it doesn’t belong to us? A raffle is it? No, the tax will be paid to the country in which the “Head Office” ghost company is registered, and thats us baby. You can’t just divert tax owed elsewhere. This isn’t a fucking Christmas raffle mate, this is serious manoeuvreing. Reverse double ball hops often look like this.

1 Like

“There’s an irony here when we see an Irish Government challenging the European Commission when they actually bowed down to the same Commission during the period of austerity and bank bailouts.”

1 Like

Take the money and tell Apple to fuck off.

Most of their operations are in Cark anyway sothe impact it has on normal, upstanding citizens is minimal in terms of Apple leaving.

2 Likes

While I’ve no doubt Pee or Charlie would be seeing it as a way to line their own pockets, they wouldn’t have been able to. As the govt have pointed out, under EU rules, any one off windfall couldn’t be used for tax breaks or day to day running of the country. It would all have to go to paying off the national debt.
Some of the reporting around the world on this has been atrocious, facts being ignored in the way of a sensationalist story.

And staff I assume

Says the asexual Brit living in galway. Not surprised you have no sense of place.

Let’s clear up one thing - I’m Italian.

Your as Italian as you are from Cork you scabby fantasist (copyright @Bandage)

You’re

Apart from that I concur with the sentiments

Listen, when you gimps went and voted in Lisbon after you initially voted no, you lost all say on your sovereignty. Do as Europe tells you now like good Micks.

1 Like

That just proves that nowadays too many stupid people can use the computers. Come to think of it that is the whole crux of the tale . In 1991 Apple were much smaller producing PCs for a smaller cadre of people . Now they are producing I phones and pads and what not for a critical mass and making serious dosh .