Wexford GAA 2016

I do indeedā€¦ fair point, Iā€™m being touchy.

Anyone going? Iā€™m marooned in the capital.

London might not be awful.

Is Parle involved in the squad?

Iā€™m giving it a miss - Iā€™ll toddle along to Croker later to check out our main rival for Leinster instead.

He was, not sure at the moment.

Needs to get a little stronger, excellent player though. The forwards all seem to be under 6" with the exception of Adrianā€¦

Is Ben worth his place having been relieved of free taking duties. .

Anything worth reporting from the demolition of London yesterday?

Thereā€™s a gap forming in division 4 between the promotion contenders (Antrim, Louth, Wexford, Waterford and Wicklow to a lesser extent) and the perennially useless/hapless teams (Carlow, London, Leitrim). Weā€™ve basically to win away to Waterford and Louth having already lost a game - I donā€™t think we can afford another slip up.

Wicklow only scored 1-2 yesterday.

Thatā€™s why I used the term ā€œto a lesser extentā€ in relation to them. They can be alright on their day.

Anyone doing the double next weekend? Saturday evening in Waterford for the football before heading onto Kerry for our early throw-in against Kerry in the hurling on Sunday. A chance to watch Kerry-Donegal afterwards in the double header.

Jesus I would love that. Havenā€™t seen the footballers yet this year. Busy next weekend unfortunately.

What time are the footballers playing Saturday as a matter of interest?

Not really, London looked like a Junior side.

Despite scoring so much, I thought our attack looked laboured at times, especially in the first half, very slow build up, with a lot of lateral passing. Wont work against better teams.

Was a bit surprised David Power left the U-21s on so long with their upcoming match on Wednesday. Losing Shanley or either of the Rossiters to injury would have been a big blow, especially considering the game was over as a contest by half time.

The Kerry game is live on TG4 from 12.35.

1 Like

Thatā€™s gas. :clap: :laughing:

Its our 3rd televised game this year and its the first weekend in feckin March. Wexford hurling is box office.

1 Like

Leinster U21 Football Quarter Final: Westmeath 1-2 Wexford 0-3 (Half Time).

We were, according to Wex twitter, playing against the wind.

Lost by 1-5 to 0-7. :cry:

Didnā€™t get to see it, but one point from play from shanley and Barden who was corner back is a poor return. I expected good things from that team. Surprised at some of the selections and subs too.

Jamie Carty also got one from play @Gman (but your point still stands). We were on top in the first half playing against a gale force wind but let in a very soft goal (mistake by the keeper). Then we started brightly in the second half and it looked like we were going to win handy but we kinda of lost our way. Missed a few chances and then seemed to tire around the middle of the field. Westmeath werenā€™t particularly good either. A disappointing one to lose.

1 Like

Did Jamie start? I should have clarified I meant from our starting team but in any case it does still stand. the keeper choice was one that puzzled me. We have had some excellent keepers over the last couple years at minor, 3 of whom have already had senior/junior level experience with the county, but yet a keeper who never played county prior to this is in goal and not all that convincing by all accounts from both games. Last years minor keeper Eoin Cummins was probably the pick of them all to be honest. Who was the sub keepr padjo? We shouldnt have lost to them 3 years ago at minor (also by a point and a defensive error being the issue) and to lose again is disappointing.

1 Like

No Jamie came on as sub half way through the second half. The keeper had a huge kick-out, but some of his handling and decision makingā€¦ Not sure who the sub-keeper was.

We were better than Westmeath in most positions, but just not clinical enough in front of goal. The team lacked a few scoring forwards

2 Likes

strange one really, because the forwards are all well capable of scoring. The half forward line though would be in my opinion like an extension of a midfield, all very good ball players and none a prolific scorer, but all would regularly chip in with scores for clubs teams and all very good long range kickers. And with Shanley and Mini Ryan, youā€™d expect scores, although Ryan can go through patches of not getting involved at all in the game, very much a form type player, if going well heā€™ll destroy teams, but can be awfully quiet if not getting on the ball or chances arent going well for him. Roche too is well capable of scores, but I suppose again Iā€™d see him better out the field more. Niall Hughes is a good forward option too, did Glen start midfield or did Tom Byrne start? Tom would be a good scorer too, Glen not so much.