Wexford GAA 2016

Whatā€™s the verdict on the hurling team? Iā€™m happy with the 6 backs. Not sure about conroy at midfield but worth a look I suppose. I guess Dunne and Been are injured? Itā€™s a strong enough team to get the 2 points needed.

I canā€™t be arsed looking for it - can you post it up?

1 Mark Fanning. Glynn Barntown
2 Liam Ryan. Rapparees
3 Matthew Oā€™ Hanlon (Capt). St James
4 Eoin Moore. Oulart The Ballagh
5 Andrew Shore. Parnells (Dublin)
6 Paudie Foley. Cā€™beg/Ballymurn
7 Andrew Kenny. Buffers Alley
8 Lee Chin. Faythe Harriers
9 Eoin Conroy Naomh Eanna
10 Harry Kehoe. Cloughbawn
11 Shane Tompkins. Askamore
12 Aidan Nolan. HWH Bunclody
13 Conor McDonald. Naomh Eanna
14 Podge Doran. Oā€™gate/Gā€™brien
15 Liam Og McGovern. St Annes
16 Conor Oā€™Leary. Oulart The Ballagh
17 Jack Oā€™Connor. St Martins
18 Aaron Maddock. St. Martins
19 Ian Byrne. Ferns
20 Diarmuid Oā€™Keefe. St. Annes
21 Conor Devitt. Ballyfad
22 Cathal Dunbar. Ballygarret.

1 Like

@Gman were you behind the ridiculous idea to group the teams for the local leagues by geographical location?

It means weā€™re playing the same teams in the league as in the championship - all within 4 or 5 weeks.

no, but it does sound like a good idea, in part.

If I was doing it, I wouldnt group the top 2 or 3 divisions by location (Iā€™m not sure how many teams are in divisions, is it still 8?)

The leagues from when I was more involved in playing were a joke. One year in our hurling league (which wouldnt be near the top) we played 3 games of 7. There was a huge split in the grouping, with 4 of us in the Ross district, and the other 4 in the Gorey district. No team played an inter district game, all were walkovers. It was easier to pay the ā‚¬50 fine rather than get players together for an evening game that was over an hours travel away. SO to an extent, I dont mind the geographical nature of the league, but I would have kept the top ones as a county wide league so as to make sure it remained as a top level league.

the playing of teams in championship and then league does sound unfortunate and poorly organised.

It had been done previously to cut costs on players travelling to games.

Suits us grand as hwood are the only team which we have in both.

Iā€™m sure the league fixtures will be the converse of championship.

Who are ye playing in the first round of the league? And the championship?

Things are hardly that tight the cost of travelling to Castletown or Kilanerin are a problem for ye? Charge an extra 20 quid a team at the golf classic.

Is it too hard to read a full post before you start replying.

We were meant to play the Anneā€™s in the league trite but postponed now.

We may have them in the championship but I donā€™t feel that makes any difference, teams are a) nonplussed about the league which leads to b) wholly different by the time championship comes around.

The club doesnā€™t pay us to drive to games, so charging an extra 20 wonā€™t benefit the players.

Overall I donā€™t really see the issue and I think it will benefit the lower leagues.

I was taking the piss about the golf classic. I just think itā€™s a tad ridiculous to regionalise the leagues based on travel costs.

Youā€™re entitled to your opinion.

Hell of a lot of difference between an away game in kilanein and one in gusserane, the change is advantageous to players and less of a draw on their time.

Anyone heading to Dungarvan, looks like I wont make it down now. Good few changes to the team from the London match.

1 Anthony Masterson Baile an Chaisleain
2 Robbie Vallejo Geralatigh Ui Annracha
3 Naomhan Rossiter Naomh Mhuire
4 Joey Wadding Naomh Fiontainn
5 Brian Malone Capt. Siol Maaoluir
6 Eoghan Nolan Siol Maaoluir
7 Simon Donohoe Siol Maaoluir
8 Syl Byrne Baile Ui Cheog
9 Daithi Waters Naomh Mairtin
10 Tiernan Rossiter Naomh Mhuire
11 Ben Brosnan Banibh-Baile Miota
12 Kieran Butler Geralatigh Ui Annracha
13 Donal Shanley Naomh Fhiontain
14 Michael Oā€™Regan An Gleann-Baile Bearn
15 John Tubritt Fiodh Ard
16 Philip Murphy Banibh-Baile Miota
17 Jim Rossiter Naomh Fiontainn
18 Rob Tierney An Gleann-Baile Bearn
19 Paraic Oā€™Keeffe Naomh Ɓine
20 Colm Kehoe An Cloch Ban
21 Adrian Flynn Ui Rathaille
22 Niall Hughes Coill an Iarainn
23 Paul Curtis Cluain Chaoin
24 Kevin Rowe Fiodh Ard
25 Jamie Carty Naomh Mairtin
26 Sean Ryan Ui Rathaille

Canā€™t make it, strange selection at centre back.

1 Like

Yea Nolan would normally play in the forwards, UCD had him playing centre back in their first Byrne cup game this year though (the one he broke his hand/arm in)

Iā€™m not convinced by him, he seems very anonymous in games, saying that I havenā€™t watched him yet this year ā€¦

He played a good few times centre back on underage teams for Shels over the years, but as you say, mostly forward. I think centre back is his best position as he isnā€™t a huge scorer. But Iā€™m not sure if heā€™s the best choice senior centre back in the county.

I thought he was pretty good in the U-21 matches this year when he came out around the middle of the park

Go on, tell us who is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m intrigued. @Gman?

Donā€™t read much into it! I just donā€™t think Nolan is ready to lead such a key position. Iā€™d prefer Malone there ahead of him for one.

1 Like

Wexford 0-12 Waterford 0-11. FT.