2010 Summer Transfer Window

They were handing it out free on the Tube.

Liverpool linked with PSV’s Mexican Left Back Carlos Salcido for 3M or so.

Rafa Marquez has gone to NY Red Bull.

Didn’t think they’d have much of their wage cap left after signing Henry or does that only apply to their American contracted players?

They have Juan Pablo Angel there aswell and supposedly he is on a fairly big wage.

I liked Angel as a player. For a little guy he was an excellent headerer of the ball.

Liverpool have signed Luke Young for 2.5 million. This makes Luke Young Roy Hodgsons first actual money signing at Liverpool.

I eagerly await KIB Man’s take on this.

I’m fairly sure Hodgson signed around 4 right backs in his first 6 or 9 months at Fulham - somebody else can check this though - so he may have a horn for this position.

Great signing for Liverpool. We signed him for around 6m from Middlesboro so awful business from MON. Granted he is 31 and I think only had a year left on his deal. Cracking player going forward on the right and a better defender than Johnson. Fine footballer with a good touch and pace. Slight weakness in the air. He was the best right back in my 12 or so years following Villa but was criminally misused by MON. Only a last resort option at left back. His confidence went to tatters when MON played him there for half a season to accomodate Cuellar.

Wonder how Hodgson is going to accomodate Johnson and Young though.

By the sounds of things he is bringing in a left back/left backs so Young will be back up for Johnson. I can’t see him dislodging Johnson although I would sell Glen if Inter came calling.

I know it is only 2.5m but the lack of links to a central midfielder is baffling.

Spurs are in for Ashley Young. MON seems to be encouraging it as well, which seems slightly odd.

Raul has penned a two-year deal with Schalke

He wants Robbie Keane to be part of the deal I reckon thats why he’s not ruling it out.

Keane would be a good fit for Villa, off the Carew i could see him doing well.

Keane would be a good fit for Villa, off the Carew i could see him doing well.

Keane needs regular football which he didnt get at Spurs(recently) and Liverpool, he would do well at Villa if they can hang onto their good players.

I was going to say he is over 6 foot and hardly a little guy, but thats probably little to you! :stuck_out_tongue:

Spurs have had a bid rejectd for Scott Parker

Ya Angel was a class act but utterly inconsistent. Had a great couple of seasons and a couple of shit seasons in between. His best form was under DOL when Solano was at the club. Villa finished sixth that season and had huge success with Solano’s crosses to the back posts where Angel would head them home. Had a bad injury and lost all semblance of pace after that. broke our transfer record to sign him and in true Villa fashion he didnt score for months after.

The Ashley Young move to Spurs wont happen. I’d be worried if Arsenal were interested but dont think he will bother with Spurs. Redknapp will be interested in Curtis Davies though so there could be a player exchange with Keane there alright. It is pretty telling that the players MON has placed up for transfer - Sidwell, Reo Coker, Davies, Shorey, L Young are all players he has bought. Marlon Harewood too remember him, he has been released - that is about £36m worth of assets that he purchased that we will take a significant loss on. Bouma has also moved on so our squad is likely to be totally lopsided even after his expected last minute dealings. I really believe that AVFC would be better off with MON at this particular time. He has no strategic vision for the players at his disposal or for the club in general. Maybe that is a symptom of his annual rolling contract, I dont know. Randy Lerner has backed him with £90m net and MON has rewarded him with solid 6th place finishes but with an aging squad on big salaries we are living beyond our means at present. Debt has rocketed in the last few years - fair enough if we were buying young players with potential like Young and Milner but the majority of MON’s deals have been experienced performers who have taken us this far but probably no further.

The links to McGeady and Keane are depressing. We do not have the personnel to play 442 so Keane should be a non runner. gabby showed great potential last year as a sole front man and interchanging with Carew is fine for the moment. Delfouneso under a manager with vision would be given greater chances but MON is unfortunately more and more a relic of times gone past where the same eleven play week in week out. We dont need keane. McGeady only as cover should be brought in but MON failing to rotate it would be a waste anyway. Heskey FFS awful, Downing 12m when injured FFS, Petrov legs not able for 442. Ireland would be a great call as a number 10 if Milner leaves but I doubt MON would see that to be honest. So much for his renowned motivation skills - barry and milner have wanted out in successive seasons. We have no right back now and when Shorey leaves only one left back. I wouldnt mind Bellamy coming in on the Milner deal as he would be decent out wide and an option up front but I’d have little hope for the year ahead regardless.

Luke Young will be an excellent signing for Liverpool I feel, A great right full but Hodgeson would want to think twice about playing him left-full as thats the only reason he’s leaving Villa.