2011 BDO World Darts Championship

The strength in depth of this year’s field is exemplified by some mouthwatering first round ties.

World Champion and World No.1 Martin Adams kicks off the defence of his title with a tough tie against the classy and underrated Tony West.
Sunday sees free scoring Dave Chisnall start his campaign and it’s a tough task for the St. Helen’s man as he takes on Number 4 seed Steve West, brother of Tony.

Later on that evening it’s World Masters runner up Stuart Kellett against the Dazzler, Daryl Fitton. Only in the BDO can talents such as Kellett suddenly emerge thanks to our wonderful youth and county system. If Kellett can get through this 50-50 tie he may well turn out to be this year’s Chizzy.

Monday evening, January 3rd, 2011 means only one thing in the minds of all darts fans - it’s the one we’ve all beeen waiting for. Grand Slam of Darts champion, and on current form the world’s best player, Scott Waites, takes on Stoke’s most famous darting son, twice world champion Ted “The Count” Hankey. It’s only at Lakeside where the first round throws up an incrdible tie such as this. Whoever wins will be take some stopping for the rest of the tournament.

As I mentioned last week, this years tournament sees the absence of Tony Green for the first time in the tournament’s history. He’ll be in all our thoughts for the duration of the tournament, and I trust the sight of some great darts, fighting spirit and above all, camaraderie, will inspire the broadcasting legend to a full recovery and a return to his familiar spot behind the microphone in the near future.

The welcoming, family atmosphere at the Lakeside never fails to filter through to TV viewers, helped of course by the easy banter between Colin Murray and Bobby George. It really is like having old friends drop by for nine days.

Let us play.

Here’s the full draw.

Saturday January 1st

1:00pm Dave Prins (16) (Eng) v John Walton (Eng)
1:50pm Willy van de Wiel (9) (Neth) v Alan Soutar (Sco)
2:40pm Mark Barilli (12) (Sco) v Martin Phillips (Wal)
3:30pm Ross Montgomery (7) (Sco) v Alan Norris (Eng)
6:00pm Martin Adams (1) (Eng) v Tony West (Eng)
6:50pm Gary Robson (13) (Eng) v Steve Douglas (Eng)

Sunday January 2nd

1:00pm Steve West (4) (Eng) v Dave Chisnall (Eng)
1:50pm Tony O’Shea (8) (Eng) v Ross Smith (Eng)
2:40pm Joey Ten Berge (5) (Neth) v Shaun Griffiths (Eng)
3:30pm Garry Thompson (10) (Eng) v Arno Merk (Ger)
5:30pm Stuart Kellett (2) (Eng) v Darryl Fitton (Eng)
6:20pm Scott Mitchell (15) (Eng) v Jan Dekker (Neth)

Monday January 3rd

1:00pm Dean Winstanley (3) (Eng) v Martin Atkins (Eng)
1:50pm Brian Woods (11) (Eng) v Stephen Bunting (Eng)
2:40pm Scott Waites (6) (Eng) v Ted Hankey (Eng)
3:30pm Robbie Green (14) (Eng) v Andy Boulton (Eng)

The traditional, original and best darts tournament kicks off this Saturday at the legendary Lakeside venue in Frimley Green. Others may bow at the altar of false darting Gods like Barry Hearn, Phil’s Darts Club, Ally Pally and Sky Sports but there’s only one proper and authentic world darts championship and it’s commencing at the weekend.

Thankfully the BDO has retained darting aristocrats such as defending champion and England’s greatest ever captain, Martin Adams, and the inimitable Ted ‘The Count’ Hankey so the standard will be higher than the PDC equivalent, as always.

Last year’s sensation Dave Chisnall is unseeded so that tells you everything about the quality on show at the home of darts. In fact, Scotty Waites, the man that destroyed the best Phil’s Darts Club has to offer at the recent Grand Slam of Darts is only the #6 seed!

Unfortunately, there will be no Irish representation at the Mecca of darts this year but that only serves to emphasise the sheer difficulty in qualifying for the World Championships. Another regret is that we won’t get to hear the dulcet tones of Tony Green, the voice of darts for over 30 years, as he’s unavoidably absent due to his ongoing battle with cancer. However, the prognosis is good and I’m sure he’ll be back on the circuit before long - maybe not at the Inter Counties later this month but somewhere during the summer.

As ever, I look forward to viewing Brian Woods’ trampy 17-year old daughter in her low-cut tops and admiring the bingo wings of Ted Hankey’s mother and the style, grace and understated beauty of Sharon Adams. Much like the BDO itself, Sharon is reserved and classy as opposed to the cheap and tacky partners on show at rival events. It promises to be 8 days of awesome arrows action and all that remains is for me to proclaim, ‘Ladies and Gentlemen, LET’S PLAY DARTS.’

Men’s draw:
Matches to be played Saturday 1st January
Dave Prins (16) (England) v John Walton (England)
Martin Adams (1) (England) v Tony West (England)
Willy van de Wiel (9) (Netherlands) v Alan Soutar (Scotland)
Gary Robson (13) (England) v Steve Douglas (England) * moved from Sunday
Mark Barilli (12) (Scotland) v Martin Phillips (Wales)
Ross Montgomery (7) (Scotland) v Alan Norris (England) * moved from Sunday

Matches to be played Sunday 2nd January
Tony O’Shea (8) (England) v Ross Smith (England) * moved from Saturday
Steve West (4) (England) v Dave Chisnall (England)
Scott Mitchell (15) (England) v Jan Dekker (Netherlands)
Stuart Kellett (2) (England) v Darryl Fitton (England)
Garry Thompson (10) (England) v Arno Merk (Germany)
Joey ten Berge (5) (Netherlands) v Shaun Griffiths (England) * moved from Saturday

Matches to be played Monday 3rd January
Brian Woods (11) (England) v Stephen Bunting (England)
Scott Waites (6) (England) v Ted Hankey (England)
Robbie Green (14) (England) v Andy Boulton (Scotland)
Dean Winstanley (3) (England) v Martin Atkins (England)

Women’s Draw:
Matches to be played Saturday 1st January

Irina Armstrong (4) (Russia) v Lorraine Farlam (England)
Trina Gulliver (1) (England) v Wendy Reinstadtler (England)

Matches to be played Sunday 2nd January
Julie Gore (3) (Wales) v Rhian Edwards (Wales)
Deta Hedman (2) England v Patricia De Peuter (Belgium)

Incredible coincidence that I was preparing my own preview as sid posted his above. I’d ask Rocko or Dunph to merge the threads please so that all true darts enthusiasts can preview, debate and comment on the greatest show in darts on one single thread.

Indeed it was a coincidence Bandage, but not altogether surprising that something like this would happpen, there’s phenomenal interest out there in this year’s Lakeside and a lot of people had the same idea to set up a thread. There will certainly be no rivalry between BDO threads and a unification between them would be welcome as you suggest. One world championship, one dedicated thread.

In recent years, more and more players have switched from the BDO to the PDC. Four-time world champion Raymond van Barneveld[/url] was the highest profile switch and the 2006 and 2007 [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winmau_World_Masters”]Winmau World Masters[/url] winners [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_van_Gerwen”]Michael van Gerwen[/url] and [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Thornton_%28darts_player%29”]Robert Thornton switched without defending their titles. Very few players have moved the other way.

When the PDC was first formed in 1992, it had 16 players. This has now grown to over 400, with numerous big-name BDO players making the switch. John Part[/url], [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Beaton”]Steve Beaton[/url], Raymond van Barneveld, [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_van_der_Voort”]Vincent van der Voort[/url], [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelle_Klaasen”]Jelle Klaasen[/url], [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_van_Gerwen”]Michael van Gerwen[/url], [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Manley”]Peter Manley and Mervyn King are only a few of the big name players that have made the switch.

BDO number 1 Robert Thornton[/url] decided to move to the PDC in May 2007. Thornton’s first televised tournament was the 2008 UK Open, held at the Reebok Stadium, Bolton. In January 2009 the defection of players continued as the top two ranked players in the BDO, [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Anderson_%28darts_player%29”]Gary Anderson[/url] and [url=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Webster_%28darts_player%29”]Mark Webster, both signed with the PDC. 2008 Lakeside Runner-Up Australian Simon Whitlock also signed with the PDC in 2009.

[quote=“Flano, post: 546535”]
When the PDC was first formed in 1992, it had 16 players. This has now grown to over 400, with numerous big-name BDO players making the switch. [/quote]
Whereas the BDO/WDF system has millions of players. Not to mention our millions more TV viewers. The public vote with their TV sets.

The BDO is the clearly the choice of the public. As Martin Adams always says: “We are the sport.”

Willy has a fairly wild style of throwing, this Soutar lad is doing well for his debut, doesn’t seem to be nervous at all.

Yeah millions of minnows. The BDO was built by Bristow, Lowe, Jocky and co and that Olly Croft cunt couldn’t see that and somehow thought he was the reason for it. A complete and utter fuckwit.

A superb 144 check out by Alan ‘Chuck’ Norris and Ross ‘The Boss’ Montgomery is rocking. Only 2 weeks after winning in Holland, the 7th seed is 2 sets down. Lovely darts from the 2010 French Open champion.

Sensational scenes on day 1 - Chuck has dumped The Boss out by virtue of a 3 sets to 1 win. Not a massive shock but a surprise all the same.

Wolfie is commencing his defence at 6pm and that’s certainly not to be missed. I think his entrance on stage is perhaps only battered by WWE superstar The Undertaker.

Wins earlier today for John ‘Boy’ Walton, Willy van de Wiel and Martin Phillips.

You’re some boyo Bando.

Is this on TV today?? I don’t see anything on BBC1 or 2…?

Probably red button. darts isn’t treated with respect by the BBC you see.

Ah yes. Classic arrows on the red button now. Super memories.

Was just re-reading this cracking article again:
http://www.tribune.ie/sport/other-sport/article/2010/jan/10/darts-bullseye-for-jack-the-lad/

I watched a bit of Lakeside before the main action today for the laugh. It was hillarious, like something you’d see down in the local dog and duck, 80 averages, 20 darts to take out a double, thank god for Barry Hearn, Sky and the PDC.

Where is this on???

Doesn’t seem to be on any of the terrestrial/mainstream stations here…

Superb interview with Wolfie by Bobby George. :clap:

Here’s Wolfie…awooooooo.

Where’s Wolfie? I can’t see him anywhere. Maybe i’ll tune in the radio, they might have it…

I am currently without access to BBC’s red button. Expecting live coverage to start at 6pm as advertised, I tuned in to BBC 2 a good five minutes ahead of schedule. I was shocked and disgusted to find that the World Champion’s opening match of this year’s tournament wasasty not being televised live by BBC NI. I can only assume this is a high handed and nasty reaction by them to Daryl Gurney’s unexpected failure to qualify. Head of Sport Stephen Watson will be receiving a strongly worded letter from me, rest assured.

Missing Wolfie’s first defence of the title is like a dagger to the heart fo me, or a poison arrow even. I feel like an Irishman expecting to see their county play in the All-Ireland Football Final from a pub in a faraway land only to see the TV signal break down just before throw in.

Can people with access to the precious coverage please provide me with regular updates from the home of Darts please? Come on Wolfie…