2017 All Ireland final Galway v Waterford - Pretend Galway Fans spouting shit

KK 2011 id say

Neither of those were shocks as both games were ranked pretty much 50-50 beforehand.

There hasn’t been a genuine shock result in an All-Ireland hurling final since 1999 when Kilkenny were heavily favoured to beat Cork and lost.

Surely 98 was a bigger shock than 99

1 Like

Cc
@Nembo_Kid

1 Like

The best of luck to all the Waterford supporters in the final. It has the makings of a great occasion.

2 Likes

Marginal underdogs have won some finals but the last big shock was probably Offaly beating Clare in 1995. Offaly looked unstoppable after hammering Kilkenny in Leinster final.

Is that in a parallel universe where Eamon Taaffe wasn’t born?

1 Like

You’re shocked every time Kilkenny lose @iron_mike, but that Kilkenny team of 1998 was possibly the worst team they ever fielded in an All Ireland Final:

1 Like

As a neutral, it would be an awful pity if Austin Gleeson isnt able to play the final.

Without a doubt it wasn’t.

Kilkenny were around 2/5 or 4/9 favourites for the 1999 final.

1999 was the biggest shock in the last three decades at least.

1987 was pretty poor.

Cork beating Kilkenny in a final is never a shock to hurling people. Maybe to ill informed soccer bookie types.

4 Likes

The Kilkenny team of 1987 was littered with any number of Kilkenny greats. The problem for Kilkenny in 1987 was something like 11 or 12 of the starting team were in their 30’s.

1 Like

It generally is - Kilkenny have traditionally held the upper hand in clashes between the two and had looked pretty much impregnable that season. Cork were seen as a coming team but not at Kilkenny’s level. Breaking Ball interviewed seven hurling journalists before that final and all seven went for Kilkenny.

1 Like

The other problem was that Galway were as hell-bent on using timber as they were.

1 Like

For what it’s worth I fancied Cork to win that 1999 final and they duly did. The Cork v Offaly semi final in 1999 was possibly the most skilful exhibition of hurling I have ever seen in wet conditions.

1 Like

It was the heaviest flaking I have ever seen in a final with neither side sparing the timber. Tale of two goalkeepers, crucial save from John Commins from Harry Ryan, I think it was and Kevin Fennelly failed to stop a Noel Lane bullet.

Cork today hitting an amount of high ball down on top of Cadagon + Horgan was crinamel …Galway have largely played this way all year but are the one team that can come out with ball when it’s 2 v 3 or 1 v 2 - They will physically give Waterford bags of too.

Be very interesting to see what way McGrath goes at this - For about 45/50 minutes the Galway full back line was an absolute calamity against Tipp before roaring back into it for the last quarter - but there isn’t a hope Waterford will have the bodies in there to test it. In saying that, Tipp’s forwards were all moving around and are probably the best set of forwards around - Derek will most likely replicate exactly what he did today - look to keep it tight for the first half, score from deep and then hope to take a chance or two as the game goes on.

However, MOD had his team and match-ups all correct against Tipp and has been shrewd enough from the line all year - I don’t think you’ll see Waterford players ghosting in back post like today.

This well be an extremely physical game - you’ll probably see J Cooney being withdrawn deep again, and midfield being crowded out - I’d back Galway’s power to win out as I don’t think Waterford will smother them like they did to Cork today but Waterford will not fear Galway in the slightest.

2 Likes

Galway will beat them

And Kevin Fennelly had a few bets on also