2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Donaghy was man of the match without having to jump once.

Unrale.

:facepunch:

1 Like

Alot to do with Jack Barry coming on and Moran getting his finger out.

Drop duirmuid o connor???

Its grand to say “we’re the better team” bit are we the better team playing it anyway at all? Thats questionable. Donaghy winning ball near 21 is a disaster for the opposition. It makes Kerry much more fluid and psyvjologically hurts other teams. This is what Kerry are brilliant at. They hurt you when you are shaken.

this is fascinating, @Nembo_Kid is the only football man here

2 Likes

Do. Oops.

1/4 finals were poor (one sided) but some great football up to then. Most entertaining championship for years

They wanted Durcan on the field. Who would you have taken off to accommodate him yesterday?

And I totally get the impact Donaghy can have catching ball inside, and mayo did limit that. But yet Donaghy was still the most influential player on the field.

There’s lots of arguments for and against. But taking your talisman out of the game is a tactic of fear as opposed to backing your marquee player to damage the opposition. I’d prefer the latter. It feeds into the sense that mayo are playing to not lose rather than go out and win. That has to filter through to the team. They were better yesterday and only drew. They have to be 5 points better than kerry to win.

1 Like

THe four provincial finals were shocking as well. So 8 of 9 biggest games played so far have been shocking.

1 Like

If it had worked out there would have been 1000 references to hammering the hammer this morning

Donaghy missed two sitters towards the end

god help the GGA if he is a marquee player

I don’t buy that tbh. That attitude would not have them coming back year after year.

You cut your cloth.

As for Durcan i thought Seamus O Se should have gone alot earlier, would consider pushing Keegan forward and leaving Durcan back half back. But i feel DOC is a class act. I’m not sure how many Mayo lads would have worked their way out of the corner he got stuck in by Kerry i think it was in 1st half. Largely because one of the backs switched off and clamped him in rather than created space.

But as you say, its quite easily arguable many ways.

There would. It worked in that Donaghy didn’t take loads of high ball on the 21 and it limited kerrys full forward line. But yet Donaghy was motm and mayo had to play the game with the complete absence of their talisman player. For me I don’t think it was a worthwhile trade off.

He wasn’t MOTM for me. Did he get it?

Wasn’t anywhere near as consistant as Moran for the day.

DOC is one of mayos better players, and I’m open to correction here but I didn’t think he was that influential yesterday. Dropping your goalie is a big call, moving your best player to full back where he has never played is a big call. Dropping DOC would be a big call but it’s certainly less outlandish than the other two. It would probably strengthen mayos running game and give them a genuine impact forward to bring in for the last 20 when they struggle for scores.

Also if mayo want the “hammer the hammer” confrontation and psychological advantage with it, leave AOS go midfield and destroy David Moran.

You’re right, I don’t know who got it but should be Moran. Donaghy was Kerry’s best and most influential play I should say instead.

Andy Moran got it

“Marquee” is a GGA term that means really tall. Please keep up.

1 Like

You obviously were watching it mate?

1 Like