2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I don’t have, or never had, any problem with Mayo.

1 Like

It’s something that you need to rectify or you’ll never live a complete life.

Can anyone lay a glove on Dublin?

I was hoping for a Kerry v Dublin final, but the sneery attitude of @Matty_Hislop, @Spidey and @Juhniallio has turned me right off Dublin and I’ll be hoping Tyrone batter them next week.

Dublin by 4.

O’Shea was missed on the Mayo kick-out though. Clarke had trouble getting quick, short ones away due to Kerry’s press (not helped by Maurice Deegan pulling a couple back, ambling into his umpires, taking 45-60 seconds for a natter, taking no subsequent action and then ensuring Clarke had to kick out again when Kerry were set - Kerry got 2 points in the first half from this).

Mayo didn’t win many kick outs when Clarke was forced to go long (according to my commentator’s eye) and this is where O’Shea would have provided a strong additional option.

In fact I think this kept Kerry in the game really. Mayo outplayed them for large spells, converted it into scores but then Kerry would belatedly respond with a score themselves. They’d then quickly add another one or two by winning the resulting Mayo kick out so the mini little spell of 10 minutes would be 3 points each or something even though Mayo would have had the better of it for 70% of the time.

To take away from the trimming Moran and COC were giving Kerry?

There is a trade off to most things you do at that level

O’Shea FF on one end Donaghy at the other and a good old fashioned long ball shootout.

More pub talk

This has been the best year in a long while

3 Likes

Never take up management

FFS.

There is that view - certainly. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

But there is no evidence to suggest it would impact poorly on the Mayo attack. A change of emphasis has the shock factor and Griffin is a weak full back, who may be tiring towards the end.

A O Shea was wasted on Donaghy.

1 Like

Of the 80 mins played (injury time included) Mayo went 25 mins without a score. - That’s a third of the game without a score – Not good enough really considering how shite Kerry were at the back.

Their full forward line still scored 1-10 over the whole match which is very good by any stretch of the imagination.

I’m not denying that at all and I was delighted for Moran, a class act. — But the reason they didn’t win is because of the stat I posted above and Rochford not having any testicles.

They were playing Kerry.

You can’t just dismiss that.

The way these high intensity matches at this stage of the Championship go is that teams have spells of dominance.

1 Like

After 35 mins this notion of ‘kerry’ should have been put to bed - they are a cheap imitation of Kerry… but you’re getting to the real problem here, it’s all in their head.

I’m torn on the AOS debate. He wasn’t used to full back and was lost there. If he’s moved away from there Kerry start lashing in high ball and Donaghy does wreck. It limited the impact of Geaney JOD as kerry were forced to work slower ball through. Against that, mayo lost the influence of their talisman player. Personally I’d prefer to see mayo back themselves to be the better team and set up to suit their strengths. If there was to be an AOS experiment it should have been full forward. The kerry full back line were already in trouble and they have no one that could handle him.

Have mayo no other way to deal with Donaghy? A full back whose only job is to stay tight on Donaghy and make sure he doesn’t catch clean ball and a sweeper alive to picking up the breaks seems obvious if simplistic.

The Boyle and Durcan sub is another weird one. They wanted Durcan on the field. Mayo have made some controversial calls in big games but they have to make a big call here. I would drop D O’Connor and start Boyle and Duran, take your pick of the Mayo half back line to shift to wing forward.

1 Like

Can’t believe my excellent pun went without notice.

:angry:

1 Like

I so think this Kerry team are wildly overrated. They’re carrying a lot of players that would have been nowhere near the team of the last decade. In their favour though, they have more players on the bench that are about as good as those starting, and that can offer something a bit different if kerry decide to change tactics a bit.