2017 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

What did Johnny Doyle do to warrant a nomination?

Iā€™ll leave that go for now Kev but heā€™s playing all of his football at midfield these days.

Weā€™ll revisit after the Tyrone game but outside of him Iā€™d agree with you that thereā€™s no one else in Ulster that comes close to be in the upper echelon of midfielders playing right now.

1 Like

I wonder if you had even heard of Sean Murphy before the match last weekend.

With two of the best midfielders in the country it is strange that Leitrim managed to beat them in the league this year.

2 Likes

Moran and Fenton fair enough but apart from that there is as good and better in Ulster.

Donnelly has two All Stars in two years from his performances for Tyrone at midfield. Colm Cavanagh is one of the top midfielders in the country as is Gearoid McKiernan.

Michael Murphy may not be a midfielder to you but he plays there.

McKiernan is the best midfielder in Ulster. Clearly you know little about Ulster football.

Eoin Donnelly is also a fantastic midfielder and one of the best in the country.

Is there a defender near the level of Chrissy McKaigue in Munster? Canā€™t think of one.

Heā€™s not as good as either any of the three aforementioned Murphys, Brennan or Fenton in midfield.

He definitely has potential but it remains to be seen.

Connolly has only himself to blame for the focus he gets. He is the one that canā€™t keep his head in a match. No offence to Carlow but they were never going to beat Dublin on Saturday and still he couldnā€™t keep his head. Yes Connolly is a very good player so what do you want other teams to do, let him waltz around the pitch and not be touched, thatā€™s not going to happen and Connolly needs to learn that and a way to deal with it. It was a line ball on Saturday night and he lost the head because he didnā€™t get the decision. The rules are clear on this offence and we have seen the Tipp goalkeeper and McGeeney and a couple of others receive the same suspension so there was no way they were going to treat Connolly any differently. If I had a cynical mind I would say Connolly knew this and did it on purpose because he wanted a break. :slight_smile:

What good is Connolly to a team when he canā€™t keep his head? There have been better players than Connolly who go treated the or worse on the pitch but they didnā€™t get sent off they just took it and then when they got the chance the buried the other team.

1 Like

Seriously? You donā€™t think u heard about Brendan Murphy?

And who said they were the best? I said they are worth talking about but not as good as Brennan (at least brendan isnā€™t)

What are you basing the Murphyā€™s on? McKiernan is much more proven than either of them.

Sean Murphy.

Sean Murphy.

Not Brendan Murphy.

Sean Murphy

1 Like

McKiernan is not as good as SeƔn Murphy from Carlow?!

Thatā€™s what that raving lunatic maintains.

:joy::joy::joy:
Cavanagh.

Enough please.

Iā€™ll give you Eoin Donnelly actually.

However the major problem for Ulster teams in alot of cases is the fact they donā€™t have a fenton or Moran type, ball winning footballers. A few of the Ukster sides would have some of the ingredients to be good but are lacking in a particular area. Monaghan would arguabky be a top 4 team with Fenton or Brennan for instance. Tyrone are sadly lacking there. Yes players in that area play well, but full midfielder package, none have it. Matty Donnelly is a half back/forward player. He picks up a huge amount of his ball on left wing, no matter where is playing.

Yes Colm Cavanagh. Easily one of these best in the game at the minute and if you fail to realise or acknowledge that it points out how clueless you are.

Yip had heard of him too. I said the 2 xMurphys. I thought thats what he was referring to.

He has been on the radar for 2-3 years now. Pretty sure Tadgh kenneally name checked him at a trial back along.

Btw does anyone know if he is the same Sean Murohy hurler? For Carlow & Carlow IT?

He stands behind midfield covering the centre back and picks up lose vall.

Not a midfielder

No he is not

Where did you hear of him?

Where did you see him play?