2017 RBS 6 Nations

Was just watching TV3 news there and they were reporting on the announcement of the Ireland rugby team.

Reading between the lines, it appears that a lad playing in France was omitted from the team for that very reason.

If that’s the case, that is the worst piece of international management I have seen.

@gilgamboa??

By the way guys, Johnny not serious at all.

I have it on very good authority that if ye were playing England or Wales this weekend, he would be playing.

1 Like

Why so mate?

He wasn’t available for several of the international training sessions due to his being based overseas. His club was under no obligation to release him outside of the specified weekends. He isn’t a regular starter with his club in France either.

Sexton is the only regular overseas selection in recent times and he was a different case. England do the exact same. As do NZ.

Madigan knew this was going to happen when he left. He made his choice. It’s a pity I’m a fan and keatley is useless.

Will that foreign lad playing number 10 for Munster be available anytime soon to up the seething levels on here?

Didn’t know that was how it worked mate. Presumed it was like soccer, where clubs release players for internationals.

I thought Smith was just being a cunt because a lad played abroad.

Why was Sexton treated differently?

Can the provinces refuse to release players ?

Not 100% sure when he actually landed into ireland…late this year I’d say. Tis gas…the lads seething about it will be the lads who hate it…

1 Like

I thought he was here a few years but was injured or something?
Anyway according to what I’ve heard on radio recently Jackson is finally after becoming a safe pair of hands, my impression in the past was that he was very talented but unable for the big occasion.

There are a set no of international windows that players are free for. Full round of the French league last weekend so even French players didn’t have the weekend off. Sexton had extra availability built into French contract because he had the leverage to do so. Plus he was so vital to Ireland they were willing to make an exception

No the provinces are funded in a big way by irfu so they can’t refuse to release the players. In England the rfu pay the clubs for the access. Here the IRFU pay the top 12 or 15 players directly

England have to be favourites

Informative rating.

I don’t know the ins and outs of it but it seems more than a bit perverse, mate.

The IRFU appear to have an official policy whereby:

Irish born and raised folk who play with foreign clubs are not considered for selection with the national team.

Foreign born mercenaries who come to play with Irish provinces are selected if their rendition of Ireland’s Call is deemed to be convincing.

7 Likes

Informative rating

Huh?

You always did have a splendid way of summing up the game of rugby football.

Ireland are 1/2 :scream: :scream:

Scotland are utter shit, aren’t they ??

Scotland are shit at everything .

they are favourites joe

they arent shit at all. I wouldnt be backing ireland at that price. they will probably win but way too short.

with a few exceptions.

you must be able to handle a hurley in a photoshoot as well