2018 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I’d say that’s a reasonable shout

Ouch.

still a good few are, the major large grounds anyway. Thurles, Kilkenny, Pairc Ui Frank, The Hyde, Galway, Tullamore etc. Even Wexford is just 3m shorter and 1m narrower, so not exactly much difference. Been spoken about before, but the optics of boundary walls/fences plays a lot into perception of tight grounds.

yeah, i think there was a whole thread on it tbh

@appendage loves tagging me anytime someone mentions a tight pitch so I know for sure it’s discussed a lot on here!

There certainly is

In five qualifiers over the last two years - Fermanagh 2016, Derry 2017, Clare 2017, Cork 2017 and Tipperary 2018, Mayo have struggled to varying degrees. In two of those games, they were right on the brink of elimination, in two others, they only turned it around in the last 10 or 15 minutes. In another they were four points down at half-time.

All of those games were against teams they’d be expected to beat by 15-20 points if they played them in Croke Park in August.

If you keep giving teams those sort of chances, the odds are that sooner or later one them will take one.

I think Kildare are better than any of the five teams I’ve mentioned above, they’re probably on around the same level Cork were at for the qualifier last year, perhaps better than that. They have a year of Division 1 football under their belts, they competed relatively well against Dublin last year, they’re a reasonably young team, they have big players in key positions, they’re at home on a pitch they’re familiar with, the controversy over the venue is bound to have a positive effect on them.

If a gun was put to my head I’d still back Mayo to just about get there, but all the ingredients for an ambush are there. Extra-time wouldn’t be a surprise.

Loads are.
And bigger.

It’s just a big stadium

id hazard a guess there’s no more than a half dozen bigger.

Thank you pointing out the size of the stadium.

1 Like

Great news lads, I’ll be off TFK for 2 weeks because I’m going to see our mate Eyan in Brazil. Does anyone have any constructive criticism of his journalism that they want me to give him?

Just the 30,000 bigger capacity than the next biggest

Ask him how his Meath PhD source on national GPO financing is doing for work

McVeety has had his ban overturned and will be available to play against Tyrone.

Cant believe i didnt notice this previously.

Even the Garda twitter account taking the piss out of the GAA over NewbridgeGate. :clap::clap:

Looks like 80 metres wide

1 Like

Croker at 85 metres

To the Pitch Dimension Thread with you @ciarancareyshurlingarmy

and Ennis is big - even if google map does not allow us focus in so much on the town

Ennis looks like it bulges out in the middle