2019/2020 UEFA Champions League - Round of 16 Draw

Chelsea after they were declared winners in the lottery in the 2012 drawn final in Munich. Chelsea finished 5th in the league in 2011/12 and only 4 English teams competed in the 2012/13 renewal. Chelsea were allowed in and 4th place Spurs were bumped out.

When Liverpool finished 5th in the League in 2004/05 and won the European Cup in 2005, 5 English teams competed in the 2005/06 renewal. Everton finished 4th in the league in 2004/05.

Everton didn’t qualify for the groups anyway as it happened

Liverpool 2005 and Chelsea 2012. Think I read somewhere that Real Madrid did it around 2000 as well.

1 Like

Real Madrid have won 13 European Cups and I think it’s only something like 3 Spanish leagues they won in the 13 seasons they won the European Cup.

AC Milan are second on the roll of honour with 7 European Cups and only one Serie A title in those 7 seasons.

Prior to the invention of soccer in season 1992/93 it was commonplace for the European Cup winners not to have qualified for the following season through their own domestic league.

2 Likes

Man united are the only English team to win the league and the champions league in the same season. 99 and 08.

3 Likes

Liverpool 78 and 84 I think the only other English team to do the double. That real Madrid stat above from chairman dan is a surprising one. What other teams have done the domestic league european Cup double? Celtic anyway. Any of the Italians fulvio?

@Lazarus and @Gary_Birtles_Lovechi won’t like this. Nottingham Forest won the League in 1977/78, not Liverpool.

2 Likes

Oh yeah yer right probably 77 Liverpool did it?

The competition has been around since the mid 1950’s kid. Or is it a case that you adapt the same approach as you do to the English domestic league, that soccer was only invented in season 1992/93?

2 Likes

Alan Pardews Newcastle finished 5th in the 2012 EPL, just on a pedantic point of order.

Correct- la coruna won the league that year. Barcelona, Valencia and I think Mallorca or Zaragoza came 4th. Atletico were relegated same year

Chelsea were 6th? This is getting even more traumatic again from a Spurs perspective.

It didn’t matter. Spuds were ten points clear of Arsenal in February. Their own fault.
Mind you it will come out fully about the west brom keeper on the final day in due course when some of his concessions were questionable to say the least. He has since passed away

Poor Josip Ilicic won’t be available for what remains of Atalanta’s CL campaign after he found his wife with another man when he returned to Slovenia.

Get well soon Josip.

He’s a class act and has been probably Atalanta’s main man this season.

2 Likes

Why would that stop him from playing football .

He’s depressed and is thinking of packing in football as a result.

Poor guy.

Just reading it now . He is taking it bad ok .

Is this back this week?

Yes

2 Likes

Lovely.

2 Likes