2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

The maddest thing about Dublin is they haven’t played badly in the championship in about 40 games. That’s almost unheard of in any team sport

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that there isn’t a talent differential but the inbuilt advantage of all the players living and training in the one county, having mickey mouse jobs and a raucous home advantage for all senior games explains the success?

Dublin won the Leinster U20 this year. They won the Leinster Minor 3 years ago.

Can anyone tell me how many players played on both winning sides.

Probably 0. Minor 3 years ago was under 18.

raucous?

most of their games are in a half filled croke park with no atmosphere

1 Like

they have played terribly in load of games, hung in vs Mayo a few times

The characters on the hill make the atmosphere themselves, even with a 10k crowd

It was the U17 tournament that was run. I think Tyrone won it out. Laois met Dublin in it. Dublin carried over one starter.

It’s an academy style conveyor belt. They had just 6 starters last night that started the first of their 5 in a row All Ireland Final wins against Kerry in 2015. A good chunk of their starting team now are only in their first years of senior inter-county football. Recruiting Bryan Cullen, the Leinster Rugby Academy Strength and Conditioning Coach into the set up as High Performance Manager was a key step.

Some achievement…well done to clubs for producing such talent :clap: other counties lads just lose the run of themselves with the first win

1 Like

We brought Brian home.

Wasn’t that an u17 tournament run alongside minor so any decent u17s were already in the minor team? So the team in that tournament was essentially a one year 17B team. And Its a big deal that only one made it into an u20 county team that covers three ages? I went down to see Dublin v Cork in the Heath in that as couple of lads I managed at club were playing.

I know. It’s incredible. No one could match it.

This

Is

The

Point

1 Like

Dublin don’t give much credence in winning underage. It’s about developing players for senior. This is a bit simplistic but Dublin will play lighter, smaller but more skillful players against the likes of Meath and Kildare at minor who pick 6’ 2 14st lads and those teams will typically win using their size and strength as an advantage. However they rarely develop on skill wise and have one way of playing whereas Dublin lads will naturally grow and fill out all the while being able to fine tune their skills.

2 Likes

Coaching and Games money in all counties is spent on juveniles. Equating it to the number of adult players in the county is irrelevant.

No they didn’t. Meath beat Dublin in comfortably in the u17 competition 3 years ago. Stop making stuff up. You’ll need to dig a bit deeper in your folder

Between minor in 2011 and under 21 in 2015, the following all tried and failed to beat Tipperary.

Ciaran Kilkenny, John Small, Jack McCaffrey, Paul Mannion, Cormac Costello, Eric Lowndes, Eoin Murchan, Davy Byrne, Robbie McDaid, Niall Scully, Colm Basquel and Conor McHugh. Fenton not deemed good enough for 2011.

Most of those guys went on to backbone the 5 in a row. Some serious progression made in the meantime.

1 Like

So you are saying Dublin will fear Tipp?

What do we know about this Dublin team?

Laois played Dublin in a Leinster U-17 football championship semi final in 2017 and the main scorer on this team was in action that night.

Ciaran Archer is the only Dublin player who featured that night in O’Moore Park that started in the win over Meath two weeks ago.

Michael Dowling, Seán O’Flynn, Alex Mohan, Gary Saunders, Colin Slevin, Ronan Coffey, Mark Barry and Jack Owens all started for Laois three years ago.

Funnily enough the opposite argument is thrown at cork hurlers i.e. underage focusing on small skillful players to the neglect of bigger more direct players!!!

2 Likes