2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

Anyone who thinks this Dublin dominance will end is wrong.

I originally subscribed to the idea that this Dublin team was a freak show, a coming together of once in a generation players. Bernard Brogan, Paul Flynn, MDMA, Philly McMahon, Stephen Cluxton and Dermo (I’ve used nicknames out of laziness).

With the exception of Cluxton, all those players are either retired or no longer starting. Yet Dublin are still thundering along. They have turned the Leinster championship into a complete farce (through their excellence) and its now been years since they were given anything resembling a challenge. Barring a freakish set of circumstances, they will turn 10-in-a-row into whatever they like-in-a-row.

Even the All Ireland, where a few other football giants lurk, has only seen a handful of real challenges. In the last 5 years, only on about 3-4 occasions have teams ever really looked like they even COULD have beaten them.

Any competition that only has 3 or 4 competitive games in 5 years is really in trouble, and that’s without mentioning the fact that the team dominating have just about every advantage possible. This won’t change on its own

Dublin funding giving a lot of counties a free pass… likes of Laois ,Kildare and Meath could have 50 good footballers at senior if they got the structures right .it’s high time these counties got their own house in order instead of absolving themselves of any responsibility…

1 Like

I think one reason that Dublin will eventually be split is because young lads and girls want to play county and it gets a higher and higher bar in Dublin to do that.

Absolutely.

Cork, Kildare and Meath are a disgrace and should be doing much, much better.

Dublin got their house in order but the problem with that is that nobody can compete with those natural advantages once they do so.

Dublin have probably 15x the playing pool Tyrone would have, 10x time what Mayo, Donegal and Kerry have. So it’s a huge multiplier when it comes to them reaching their peak levels as they have.

3 Likes

They do. What keeps those counties competitive is a football tradition so young lads who are athletic and good at sport tend to play football and they generally are coached in clubs by a good quality of coach who has played to a good standard.

All you need to know about Meath is that whenever Dublin win Sam they take it for a tour of Ashbourne.

How many times have Kerry and Mayo brought the dubs to a replay since 2011? How many times have the dubs beaten them by less than a goal?

Definitely, there’s a culture there in those counties that keeps it going. Don’t think Kildare or Cork really have that football culture, Donegal to be fair has always been more of an association football in my experience - there are football towns there that dominate GAA but I think the 2012 win somewhat changed that - they had a few good underage years years after 2012 but I think they are slacking off again at underage and I wonder if they’ll still be where they are in 10 years time. Mayo and Tyrone are proper traditional gaelic football counties along with Kerry so I don’t see them dropping anywhere.

Don’t know what’s gone on with Meath, I’d probably agree with Martin McHugh and the Celtic Tiger made them soft.

that says more about Dublin in my opinion.

What do you want Meath to do, put a road block on the M3?

You were talking about Tyrone county championship here…

Laois went looking for funding for a structure that was working and Alan Milton et al shut it down.

To keep shouting at others to get their house in order is to stick your fingers in your ears and scream nananana. Dublin is a massive problem. The problem is Dublin are doing everything right. Its not their fault, its simply that they are. And once you do everything right, and have the weight of numbers, its only going to go one way.

There’s no point being an intercounty footballer in Leinster, outside of Dublin at the current time. Its just a numbers game. Simple as. I dont blame Dublin. But its a massive problem and its foolish to think otherwise.

6 Likes

Team of the Championship so far.

1. Galligan (Cavan)
  2. Murchan (Dublin
  3. Faulkner (Cavan)
  4. Mullin (Mayo)
  5. Durcan (Mayo)
  6. Fahey (Tipperary)
  7. Mogan (Donegal)
  8. Fenton (Dublin)
  9. Galligan (Cavan)
  10. Langan (Donegal)
  11. McKiernan (Cavan)
  12. Bugler (Dublin)
  13. Quinlavin (Tipp)
  14. Kilkenny (Dublin)
  15. Sweeney (Tipp)

Footballer of the year - Galligan - Cavan

1 Like

Because it’s so competitive, everyone generally believes they’ve a shot - it’s like the Ulster Championship.

Derry is like the Leinster Championship.

County teams are representative of their club football.

Derry had 1/3 of their team starting from one club against Armagh. That’s the problem with club football in Derry.

Explaining, losing etc. So now you’re saying that winning a supposedly competitive club championship isn’t much of an achievement.
You’re quite finished here, hoist on your own petard so to speak.

Think you’re trying to sidestep the point.

County teams are indicative of the strength of their club scene. 1/3 of the Derry team start from the best club which dominates the Derry club scene and Derry are still shit.

Derry need to focus on improving the wretched state of club football in the county first and foremost.

Tyrone in contrast had no players from the current county champions on their football panel.

I’m giving you the last word here…

Yes because any club believes they can win it. There is no fear in the Tyrone Championship, much like the Ulster Championship.

In Derry it’s a closed shop, like the Leinster championship.

I’m not saying Dublin aren’t a problem ,they clearly are. but I think counties can still do a bit more internally.Culture wise . I mean there must have been lads playing for Laois for years who were probably looking at training for one game a year and they soldiered on regardless. thought the lad Milton was PR side of gaa?

What are you going on about? 3 different winners of the Derry championship in the last 3 years. 4 of the last 7 Ulster titles have gone to Derry, 2 different clubs winning them.

Slaughneil and Ballinderry have dominated club football in Derry in the past decade. It’s a closed shop. Do better research. They have won 8 of the last 10.