2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

You said Cavan made good use of the mark. Teams have not started kicking it long because of the mark, Cavan kicked it long as they have a number of good ball winners inside and Patton is piss poor under a high ball.

Tyrone brought kicking the ball back in last year when they had McShane inside for the Championship.

You are utterly clueless. You’re having a nightmare, son.

Add that to your confusion over whether diving in gaelic football started in 2008 or 1983, and 3 clubs winning the Derry championship in the last 10 years. Cavan scored a mark in every game in this years Ulster championship up to yesterday, so your 0-2 is wrong. Leave discussions on Ulster football to those of us involved in it maybe?

1 Like

They did not score a mark yesterday so you are talking out of your hoop.

And that is the subtlety you don’t understand. Iv educated you enough for today, il not waste more time on that.

1 Like

Kerry passed up an easy 1-3 versus Dublin last year in the opening half. They should have won that final. They were a little naive for a finish.

Mayo will beat Dublin this year in the final.

They played over half the game with an extra man.

I think if Cluxton went they would be a little bit more beatable. Hopefully he has enough after this year. He is a bit like a quarter back with those restarts. If you press him too high it leaves you exposed to a laser over the top to Con O Callaghan or Dean Rock. It was how Jack McCaffrey got his goal in the drawn game last year. Mayo have been the only team in all this time who can win a few of the Dublin Kickouts. Not only that but it is leadership and reverence that younger players coming through have for him.

I think Cluxton’s influence is often overstated.

He’s not without his meltdowns himself, he had an absolute conniption against Kerry in an All Ireland semi-final where he gifted Kerry a few goals, lost the plot near the end of an All Ireland final against Mayo when they were 5/6 points up and cruising only to draw and was badly, badly rattled at the start of the All Ireland final against Tyrone when his kickouts cost a few early scores. He can be got at.

Dublin just have superb footballers on every line of the pitch and replacements just as good on the bench, Mayo were the only team who were able to live with their physical levels for a period of time but that generation of Higgins, Boyle, Moran etc has came to an end.

I think these Cluxton meltdowns are over stated because of who he is. A cluxton ‘meltdown’ normally equates to 2 poor kick outs on a row.

5 Likes

Cluxton is only a goalie lads.

Yes because the Dublin defenders couldn’t get a hold on the Kerry forwards. Further evidence of the pressure Dublin were under. The early misses were killer for Kerry particularly the penalty.

That’s far from a great Kerry team too.

But the one against Mayo was a 10 minute car crash spell where he was hitting them all away. The one against Kerry he was responsible for a couple of quickfire goals as far as I can recall.

I think Comerford will come in for Dublin whenever Cluxton goes and it will be seemless enough. Morgan, Beggan and Patton are all at the level of Cluxton in terms of their kickouts but Dublin just have better players and better strategies coached in that regard. Like Cluxton has had targets like Flynn, Connolly, McCarthy, McCaffrey, MacAuley, Fenton, Kilkenny Bastick etc all throughout that time.

They have massive men there with brilliant movement, athleticism and fielding ability. That’s the key for me. Cluxton changed the way a goalkeeper operates but there’s a few there at his level now - they just don’t have the same quality of player to hit though.

1 Like

Not really. Cooper was harshly done, what he did in that game was what he gets away with the whole time - it’s just that it was Kerry this time and Clifford so he got punished for it.

Kerry were out on their feet, hanging on against a team they have a man advantage over for the majority of the game.

In the return game it was 15 on 15 and fairly comfortable.

Cluxton changed Gaelic football forever.

Before Cluxton a goalkeeper was there to save shots on goal.

Cluxton redefined the restart and the role of the goalkeeper and with it football.

1 Like

A goalie who can pass a ball was pretty outrageous alright.

1 Like

Like penicillin. It’s easy afterwards to see the simple beauty.

Mate, I’ve been saying goalies are wastes of space for the best part of 30 years.

And superb decision makers too…really know how to manage a game and capitalise on a mistake

Geaney had a penalty saved too hadn’t he. They completely retreated into their shells during the extended injury time that day unfortunately.

1 Like

This current Tipp team has a lot of parallels with Wexford from circa 2008. Couple of generational talents in the forwards (Forde and Lyng/Quinlavin and Sweeney). Never rose higher than division 2 and generally ply their trade in division 3 but more progressive in championship than some higher ranked outfits. Follow a strong year with a down year but are always a treat against higher ranked opponents etc. for Tipp 2017/18 see Wexford 2009. One major difference is that Tipp have had underage success to prompt this breakthrough and have now reached 2 AI SF’s.