2020 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.Blame the dubs

+14 has to be a great punt if that way inclined. They surely won’t want to destroy Cavan with the spotlight they’re under from @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy et al

I thought Meath plus 10.5 was a good bet.

It wasn’t.

Problem with the spread. With most overwhelming favourites they would ease off towards the end. Not risk injury etc. With Dublin they bring on the cavalry who feel slighted and out to prove a point and the situation deteriorates.

I understand all that. Dublin are a relentless machine when they hit full stride. I’ve gotten a few quid from the Breffni lads this far and notwithstanding their shortcomings I’m committed to sticking with them. I had a tenner Sunday night at 20/1 and I’m comfortable enough with it. Their proximity to me is doubtless colouring my thinking but shur’ yerra…

1 Like

@TheUlteriorMotive

Would ye clear a million in membership fees ?

I’d doubt it. I have the accounts here some where.

Edit - it’s a lot less than that

Lot of 4 or 5 person families amongst members.

130 odd teams. Pitch rental is huge cost.

1 Like

What would their insurance bill be?

€8,760

1 Like

You’d want it I’d say to keep the show on the road

Are you the treasurer?

There’s a lot of good stuff in Crokes. They have a Santa experience for kids with sensory issues and a Friday sports club for kids with disabilities. The summer camps have facilities to alllow kids with disabilities participate.

I’d have a lot of respect for the work they do at underage level and it’s driven by a lot of good intention.

1 Like

It’s a great club. The only issue I have with it is you can’t keep players involved when you are filtering down that many kids to whatever they have now 5 or 6 adult teams. They must lose some amount of possibly decent players along the way

1 Like

About ten percent a year i think is the average. Each year. So you start out at 8 with 150 kids and have maybe 70 by 14

Sure that’s the same for every club just on a larger scale

It’s like a premier league academy.

If we lost 10% of our u8s every year afterwards we wouldn’t be able to field a team by u14s

1 Like

My older lad tried it. Didn’t like it. Dropped away. Other kids go to other sports as games, training clashes. Most of the kids are playing football and hurling, soccer, rugby. Hurling drops off faster than football I would say from 10 or so.

In many ways it’s too big - at 8, 9, 10 if we play a game we are playing at 4 different clubs to accommodate our numbers.

But it’s run very well. It’s not elitist. Focus on developing skills and enjoying it and not on winning games before say 14.

Can you explain why hurling is so popular in south Dublin and Gaelic football seems dominant in north Dublin? I’d have presumed the opposite to be honest. Does hurling takeaway from rugby in the south or something?

Not sure. Demographics of parents maybe. In my group the lads who run it are largely from hurling counties.

Having said that more kids play football than hurling in south Dublin

There’s a phenomenon in South Dublin known as ‘Sliotar Mom’, who rocks up to Cuala or Crokes underage training in her Nissan Quasqai on a Saturday morning.

She’s driving the revolution of hurling in South Dublin.

1 Like